• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First/Group Round - Group A - Bangladesh, Netherlands, Ireland, Oman

Stapel

International Regular
Tomorrow's match will be a tough one for BD. Playing straight up from 30 ft elevation to 8000 ft in Dharamsala is not going to be easy. The Netherlands are in with a good shout.
Especially as there are only 4 Dutch born players in the selection :) .

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It really is pretty crazy how bad Bangladesh seem to be at t20 compared to ODI cricket. Feels like all their best newer players are better suited to longer forms of the game. Not at all what I'd have imagined would have happened 10 years ago.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It really is pretty crazy how bad Bangladesh seem to be at t20 compared to ODI cricket. Feels like all their best newer players are better suited to longer forms of the game. Not at all what I'd have imagined would have happened 10 years ago.
Actually if you look at their progress and growth over the years, it makes perfect sense.

When Bangladesh first started, their main problem was the inability to stay at the wicket - whether ODI or Test cricket. They would barely last the 50 overs.

Over the years they had various swashbuckling strokemakers like Ashraful or Nafis Iqbal or Alok Kapali who loved to play shots and then throw away their wickets, thus seriously hurting their ability to bat the full quota.

Slowly over the years the figured out how to bat 50 overs. Guys like Tamim often curtail their shots in order to occupy the crease. But it's like when you ask them to go and bat 20 overs, they get confused. This couldn't have been more clear in the limited overs series they played against South Africa last year.

During the ODI series, it was so clear that they were the better side at that point, but during the T20s the week before, the same side came out with a confused strategy, playing horrible and ridiculous shots,

I believe if T20 was more popular back in 03-04 when Bangladesh were struggling to bat 50 overs, it would have suited them at that point perfectly.

Now, having said all of that, winning can do wonders for your confidence and this Bangladesh side, because of having tasted success consistently over the better part of last year, I believe we will start to see that translate into confidence in T20 cricket as well. They were the second best team in the Asia Cup, and although Sri Lanka and Pakistan were abysmal, they still deserve some credit for having won those games.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Big wickets too. Doubt Bangladesh can get 150 from here.

Also doubt anyone has pronounced van der Gugten correctly yet.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Actually if you look at their progress and growth over the years, it makes perfect sense.
Yeah. I didn't really mean it was inexplicable so much as a really stark difference. You're right though, there's even a test bias with some of their players to a degree, though obviously they're clearly best at ODIs. But someone like Monimul Haque who has a great test record so far and seems to be one of the best FC batsmen in Bangladesh isn't in their team in any other format.

Stapel

International Regular
Probably not the best thing to give the last over to Van Beek, but in the end 154 is a very gettable total.