• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best of the Rest - WC squad

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
steds said:
So what? The rest of Oceania would get whooped by most of the countries you named in that post, so why give them a spot?
Which countries? You can't say Jamaica (who by the way now refuse to call up any English born players with Jamaican heritage e.g. Damien Francis) who's best player is Claude Davis, Canada and T&T once Yorke retire are any better than NZ. They are all equally inept. Costa Rica I conceed although Deportivo Saprissa had 9 internationals and were outplayed by Sydney, a team thrown together in a couple of months, before scoring a flukey goal and winning 1-0 at the club world championships.

The major point was Concacaf don't deserve 3.5 spots. It doesn't matter now Australia are qualifying through Asia and T&T and Costa Rica will get humbled at the world cup.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, seeing as there are two threads started by the same guy almost worded identically and covering precisely the same subject - and started six minutes apart (obviously becoming a Derbyshire supporter - "wick in t' ead"), even though it's a few years too late I should like to nominate one or the other of the Andy Gorams

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
might as well add Guily, Pires, Zanetti, Yakin, Baraja, Morientes to these squads since they wont be going to the WC.

gio

U19 Cricketer
steds said:
No James McFadden or Steven Pressley? I'm hurt.
Feck Steven Pressley. Completely overrated and a blinkered fool when it comes to speaking in the press. Now if you'd said Kris Boyd, Chris Burke, or Barry Ferguson then you'd have a point...

gio

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
Well, seeing as there are two threads started by the same guy almost worded identically and covering precisely the same subject - and started six minutes apart (obviously becoming a Derbyshire supporter - "wick in t' ead"), even though it's a few years too late I should like to nominate one or the other of the Andy Gorams
Brilliant call. Andy Goram was an unbelievable 'keeper. For someone so fat and un-athletic, he pulled off saves to rival and better any others. Some of his saves for us against Spetic were simply unbeleivable, especially when facing Pierre Van Hoijdonk

steds

Hall of Fame Member
gio said:
Feck Steven Pressley. Completely overrated and a blinkered fool when it comes to speaking in the press.
Awesome hair, though. :D

Edit: And I never get to see what he says to the press. No one cares south of the border.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ten Best Players Never to Play in a World Cup

Slight change of direction for the thread, but still kinda connected. The list comes from this month's Observer Sport Monthly. Full Article here:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1786654,00.html

Some illustrious names there:

1. George Best
2. Bernd Schuster
3. Ladislao Kubala
4. George Weah
5. Tommy Lawton
6. Ryan Giggs
7. Alberto Spencer
8. Alfredo Di Stefano
9. Eric Cantona
10. Abedi Pele

Maybe it's my Arsenal bias, but I think Chippy Brady is a bit unlucky to miss out too.