• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who do you pick to have a good tournament?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
if fabregas makes it to the WC, which looks doubtful if you ask me, and i dont think taking him would be a good idea personally, i doubt he would play very much seeing as his international experience would be very limited at best, would be detrimental for him and spain to start playing him in Germany.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
if fabregas makes it to the WC, which looks doubtful if you ask me, and i dont think taking him would be a good idea personally, i doubt he would play very much seeing as his international experience would be very limited at best, would be detrimental for him and spain to start playing him in Germany.
Why is it doubtful that Cesc goes to the World Cup? His a full member of the Spanish national team and with the injury to Xavi (the only midfield centre whose position was guarantied), it’s more than likely that he will start in Germany.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why is it doubtful that Cesc goes to the World Cup? His a full member of the Spanish national team and with the injury to Xavi (the only midfield centre whose position was guarantied), it’s more than likely that he will start in Germany.
To throw a player of that age into a tournament with such limited experience in international football would be entirely detrimental from spains, arsenals, and cescs point of view, hes going to be exhausted at the end of the season and would do better having a rest.

From the spanish point of view they have many other players who could cover xavi sufficiently, baraja, xabi alonso and albelda are all vastly experienced and can do more than an average job as replacement.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Inzaghi, he seems to be getting it together again, if he keeps it up he could really have a good tournament up front with Italy.

Damn do Italy have a good strike force, Totti, Inzaghi, Toni, Gilardino, Cassano, Del Pieiro, Vieri. All wont go off course, but any combination in good form could be nightmare for Interantional defences.
The only one who isnt vastly overated or past it from that list is Toni, any defence of a decent cailbre should have no problem with dealing with the rest of them, the biggest threat there is del piero really if hes having a good day, but how likely that is remains to be seen....

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
To throw a player of that age into a tournament with such limited experience in international football would be entirely detrimental from spains, arsenals, and cescs point of view, hes going to be exhausted at the end of the season and would do better having a rest.
It did nothing wrong for Roberto Baggio, Michael Owen, Raul, Wayne Rooney, Pele et cetera careers. All guys with limited international experience who were well and truly chucked into the frying pain so to speak in big international tournaments.

You may believe he needs a rest but try asking Cesc and I bet you the only thing he is looking forward to this summer is playing in the World Cup, not having a rest, it's the World Cup for God's sake!

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
The only one who isnt vastly overated or past it from that list is Toni, any defence of a decent cailbre should have no problem with dealing with the rest of them, the biggest threat there is del piero really if hes having a good day, but how likely that is remains to be seen....
well probably, but you cant say Gilardinho is past it though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It did nothing wrong for Roberto Baggio, Michael Owen, Raul, Wayne Rooney, Pele et cetera careers. All guys with limited international experience who were well and truly chucked into the frying pain so to speak in big international tournaments.

You may believe he needs a rest but try asking Cesc and I bet you the only thing he is looking forward to this summer is playing in the World Cup, not having a rest, it's the World Cup for God's sake!
all of those players had a good experience of what international football was all about before playing in the WC, cesc is yet to play in more than one match for spain and im not sure if that was even a competitive one. Also cesc plays in the most physically demanding position of them all and so at such an age and after playing so many games this season he will expectedly be worn out, once again none of the above players would have had such a huge workload going into such a competition.

And yes, ask cesc, im sure he would answer as you say he would, any player worth their salt should say the same, if he didnt then he wouldnt be deserving of being a pro footballer. Whether or not he wants to play or not, his best interests which would be avoiding a burnout would suggest that he takes no part in the WC.