• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
Vidmar out

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19076579-23215,00.html

pretty big loss, but could be a blessing in disguise, i had a fear that he was gonna get shown up by quick strikers, perhaps someone with younger legs and may be able to compete on the ground will get his spot...

also the Aussie squad is named live on SBS at 11am tomorrow...
if we play three central defenders and two wingbacks, then our back three is Niell, Moore and Popovic, so really we will still have one slow defender that will get shown up by a quaity striker. Maybe the selectors will give Milicevic a run but its unlikely.

Also read in the paper today that Brad Jones is thinking about jumping ship if he misses out on 23 man squad. He saves a penelty and he thinks he should walk into the Aussie squad. Good luck trying to get into the England and France sqaud, his got no chance. But if he stayed until after the Asia Cup, he would be Australia's No 1.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
It will be interesting if we play the 5-3-2 to 3-5-2 or the 4-5-1 to 4-3-3. Depends on Cahill's fitness I guess. Vidmar out is a blow, he is one of the few defenders to have experience. It's a shame Hiddink didn't take over earlier so he had a chance to look at Milicevic & co.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
wow some shocks in the Aussie squad.

Josh Kennedy, Mark Milligan, Micheal Beauchamp and Milo Sterjoski

And no Elrich and Milicevic

Full squad will come later

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's 2006 World Cup Squad is:

Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Milligan was the big shock, not a terribly bad decision but its definately gonna be interesting to see if he gets any game time...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the squad... Think it has a very good balance of Youth and experience...

Moore at the back is good, Beauchamp and Milligan are the future and i think giving them a shot to play with Moore will help them learn alot..

Sterjovski is a surprise, i thought Elrich's impact value would have got him a spot, despite his recent lack of game time..

Now the questions, Will Cahill be fully fit? What will Brad Jones do now?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Milligan is the only really big shock there are a few unlucky blokes going around.

Sterjovski was killing it for Basle.

I take it Milligan hasn't played since the A-League finished up, Beauchamp was on loan in Germany somewhere I think?

We will definitely be playing 3-5-2 if Cahill isn't fit. If Moore goes down injured between now and the WC we are in serious trouble.

Cloete

International Captain
Blewy said:
I like the squad... Think it has a very good balance of Youth and experience...

Moore at the back is good, Beauchamp and Milligan are the future and i think giving them a shot to play with Moore will help them learn alot..

Sterjovski is a surprise, i thought Elrich's impact value would have got him a spot, despite his recent lack of game time..

Now the questions, Will Cahill be fully fit? What will Brad Jones do now?
Sterjovski's been in blistering form for Basel both in the UEFA Cup (which I've seen action of him in) and the Swiss league (by all accounts), as opposed to a guy struggling to make an appearance at a struggling EPL team. I'd have gone with Mile over Ahmad too...

Like the squad, very well balanced and full strength bar Vidmar! :)

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, i havent seen alot of Mile, i was just going off Elrichs past performances for Australia, he has always been dangerous off the bench..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
I take it Milligan hasn't played since the A-League finished up,
Mark has been playing for the Sharks in the NSW PL and for the Under 23s, apparently he killed it for the Olyroos and thats why he got the nod over others. But i would have gone for Milicevic, as he can play more positions then Mark and is more flexible and as a big prospect. Surely going well in the UEFA Cup means more then playing well against Iran, Vietnam Under 23s?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Yeah doesn't make much sense. He managed to leap frog half a dozen other blokes that played in Bahrain as well. Hopefully it is immaterial and we won't be in a situation where he has to play.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
Yeah doesn't make much sense. He managed to leap frog half a dozen other blokes that played in Bahrain as well. Hopefully it is immaterial and we won't be in a situation where he has to play.
TBF he wasn't that far behind Jade North, when the Bahrain side was picked and the others guys apart from Beauchamp didn't really put their name infront of the selectors eyes from their performances against Bahrain.

Craig

World Traveller
chaminda_00 said:
Australia's 2006 World Cup Squad is:

Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).
So much for Hiddink for wanting players playing top flight football when he picks two players playing in England's football league, and Bundesliga 2.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Cloete said:
Any chance of some Socceroo inspired avatars?
What do you think? :laugh:

Anyone bought a WC strip? I was thinking of getting the navy blue away strip with the man in my avatars name and number embroided on it. The home strip is too plain for the gold to work, it needs some green in there to pull it off I think. There is something I don't like about it.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ive got the Socceroos one we used in the qualifying, obviously its different for the cup, i may or may not get one yet...

Cloete

International Captain
I was planning on purchasing the qualifying one after we beat Uruguay actually. I ended up spending the money on Pro Evo 5 though. :happy: