• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

Niall

International Coach
Feel free to LOL at this post, but Chelsea have something to work and could be a top 4 side next year.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Refs should be mic'd up for the crowd to hear the conversations, like they do in Rugby. At least their incompetency will be transparent.

Then automate the offsides so there can be no human error in where lines are drawn.

Always going to be subjective decisions but I think the above will solve most of the annoyances I have :laugh:

Last edited:

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Feel free to LOL at this post, but Chelsea have something to work and could be a top 4 side next year.
Agree, but Poch needs to be brave and stick with Cucurella at LB. This is exactly what Pep wanted him for. It's also quite clear the inverting thing is really helping Caicedo and the defence. I'm not sure what that means for Enzo as he's not really suited to the role Galla is playing right now but that's a problem for later.

James also really suits RB converting to RCB in possession but there will be a push to get him up the pitch and things will fall apart again.

There's also the small problem of Chilwell who I doubt is willing to accept being 2nd choice LB. Will be interesting to see who Poch decides to keep/sell.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Refs should be mic'd up for the crowd to hear the conversations, like they do in Rugby. At least their incompetency will be transparent.

Then automate the offsides so there can be no human error in where lines are drawn.

Always going to be subjective decisions but I think the above will solve most of the annoyances I have :laugh:
They've started trialling this in the A-League already, if it's anything like most VAR implementation and changes they’ve trialled here you'll see it in the big leagues in a couple of years.

ripper868

International Coach
The clip of I think it's Gillet reffing a match a couple years back while mic'd up is excellent - and hearing the logic to a foul/no foul decision would only be good for people to objectively and graciously accept the referees dud decisions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah surely if they’re not sure, get the ref over?
It's not that they're not sure, it's just once they're looking at an incident for longer than 10 seconds there's clearly something in it, so get the referee over to the screen to work through it together.

We had a scenario in the Rangers v Kilmarnock game a couple of weeks ago where the referee (correctly) didn't give us a penalty for handball. VAR official looks at it for at least 2 minutes, then calls the ref to the monitor, who looks at it for another minute before sticking with his original call, wasting about 3 minutes.

IMO the ref should have been called to the monitor much earlier.

Ali TT

International Debutant
The delay to the game issue was always a big concern before it was introduced and being borne out in practice. I reckon just ditch it but make it a criminal offence with immediate extradition to Rwanda for anyone moaning about referring decisions after the match

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The delay to the game issue was always a big concern before it was introduced and being borne out in practice. I reckon just ditch it but make it a criminal offence with immediate extradition to Rwanda for anyone moaning about referring decisions after the match
Can we still moan about referees in the divisions that have never had VAR?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a cretinous argument from the likes of Danny Baker and Kevin Day, that when VAR was originally introduced it would be awful because we wouldn't have stuff to discuss in pubs because all the decisions would be right, yet as Day admits but baker doesn't acknowledge, actually if your wish was to drone on about officiating constantly (my wish has never been to do that, talk about the football), Var is a godsend, it's all some ****ing talk about.

In the end it's been hideously implemented, but the main reason if you want to ditch it, is the not being able to celebrate goals, it's footballs thing over almost every other sport, the fact goals matter so much and the orgasmic feeling you get when they go in, personally as someone who doesn't support Prem teams I just enjoy the drama of seeing goals overturned, but I can easily see how pissed off I'd be if it was in my division, but having said that being seen off ruins my week, so pros and cons. You surely do get a slightly delayed orgasm and then full release as a goal is giving in the Prem, and let's face it many like edging.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I'm unhappy at having to support Karren Brady's team today. But it is what it is.
I have been unhappy for the last 15 years that she has been at my club, fella. Wish her and the poison dwarf would do one but that doesn’t look likely imminently. I would like my lot to put in a real shift today, but the last six months and more will tell you that largely the team that goes out will invite pressure on themselves to teams far weaker than the opposition today.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I have been unhappy for the last 15 years that she has been at my club, fella. Wish her and the poison dwarf would do one but that doesn’t look likely imminently. I would like my lot to put in a real shift today, but the last six months and more will tell you that largely the team that goes out will invite pressure on themselves to teams far weaker than the opposition today.
4-0 by half time, I reckon.