• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith injured

Laurrz

International Debutant
South Africa received an injury scare ahead of their big semi-final against Australia, with their captain Graeme Smith suffering a minor knee injury ahead of the St Lucia clash on Wednesday.

Smith hurt his knee while fielding in the match against England that enabled South Africa to qualify for the semi-final. According to a team spokesman, Smith did not play a full part in Saturday's training session.

"He has a niggle and thus didn't train as intensively," the team spokesperson told Reuters, adding that Smith was advised by team physio Shane Jabbar to manage the problem through rest.

South Africa, ousted by Australia in the 1999 World Cup semi-final, are bidding to make it to their first-ever final of a World Cup. The only other time South Africa entered the last four was in 1992 when they went down to England, thanks largely to the rain rule prevalent at the time. In 1996 they lost to West Indies in the quarter-final while their 2003 home campaign ended disappointingly, with a first-round exit.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wc2007/con...ory/291889.html

one of the players who werent scarred in 1999.... and does well against Australia generally in ODI's..

guess Gibbs will open with ABDV

pasag

RTDAS
He hasn't been ruled out of the match yet and he did train, just a light session.

He's who I'm scared of most in the South African line-up, but I'd want him there against us obviously.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course he'll play, the only reason for him to not play would be if he couldn't walk or support any weight with that leg. He's such a combative character that I am pretty sure he would be able to play through the pain barrier for his country. Like Gelman said, if I was an Australian then he's the player that I would be most fearful of, but equally he could turn out to be a flop.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, i agree come what may Smith would definately play in the semi-final and i also want him to play so that the Aussies can beat the best possible Saffie XI.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Of course he'll play, the only reason for him to not play would be if he couldn't walk or support any weight with that leg. He's such a combative character that I am pretty sure he would be able to play through the pain barrier for his country. Like Gelman said, if I was an Australian then he's the player that I would be most fearful of, but equally he could turn out to be a flop.
Well Smith could always do a 'Jake Oram' and cut the offending injured bit off so that he could still play. That way he would be able to open his mouth with confidence that he wouldnt' be able to change feet.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Smith could always do a 'Jake Oram' and cut the offending injured bit off so that he could still play. That way he would be able to open his mouth with confidence that he wouldnt' be able to change feet.
Cutting off a finger is a bit different from cutting off your leg. Besides, Oram was joking when he said that.