• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI vs Australia.

xanderbiscuits

U19 12th Man
Who do you think would win between a World XI made up from the Super eight teams except Australia Vs Australia?

And who would you have captain the World XI?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given the last farcical attempt at a World XI I think the idea would be best not tried again, myself.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Stephen Fleming is by far the best captain but it would be hard for him to get a game. I would choose Graeme Smith, by default really.

This is the team I would pick..

1 Graeme Smith (c)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya
3 Jaques Kallis
4 Kevin Peitersen
5 Kumar Sangakarra
6 Ramnaresh Sarwan
7 Andrew Flintoff
8 Shaun Pollock
9 Daniel Vettori
10 Shane Bond
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

Definately a gun outfit, but the form of the Aussies would see them home IMO.

simmy

International Regular
Stephen Fleming is by far the best captain but it would be hard for him to get a game. I would choose Graeme Smith, by default really.

1 Graeme Smith (c)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya
3 Jaques Kallis
4 Kevin Peitersen
5 Kumar Sangakarra
6 Ramnaresh Sarwan
7 Andrew Flintoff
8 Shaun Pollock
9 Daniel Vettori
10 Shane Bond
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

I assume that you are only picking Flintoff as a bowler (which is fair enough).

In this case, he should be at number 9.

Fiery

Banned
Because Pollock and Vettori have been so much better with the bat than Flintoff recently...
But Vettori has been woeful with the bat recently. He hasn't gone past 20 in the last 14 times he has batted since his 79 in the Champions Trophy last year.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But Vettori has been woeful with the bat recently. He hasn't gone past 20 in the last 14 times he has batted since his 79 in the Champions Trophy last year.
Need to turn the sarcasm detector on mate.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The world XI vs Australia should sadly probably have a couple of extras from the Aussie squad in it. :laugh:

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
I always like to see these types of games. It's just a bit of fun, but it also proves that a good team will always beat a team of good individuals,

pup11

International Coach
A bunch of great individuals (World XI) can't beat a great team (Australia), it was proved during the Super Series and if something like that is tried again the result would be pretty similar (IMO).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All that was proved during the Super Series was that a "Rest Of" team was a stupid idea.

haroon510

International 12th Man

1 Graeme Smith (c)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya
3 Jaques Kallis
4 Kevin Peitersen
5 Kumar Sangakarra
6 Ramnaresh Sarwan
7 Andrew Flintoff
8 Shaun Pollock
9 Daniel Vettori
10 Shane Bond
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

i would put asif for vettori at lest for test matches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

1 Graeme Smith (c)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya
3 Jaques Kallis
4 Kevin Peitersen
5 Kumar Sangakarra
6 Ramnaresh Sarwan
7 Andrew Flintoff
8 Shaun Pollock
9 Daniel Vettori
10 Shane Bond
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

I would certainly replace Flintoff with Styris Sarwan, maybe, with Yuvraj Singh.