View Poll Results: Should selectors pick Atapattu Over Tharanga??

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 39.39%
  • No

15 45.45%
  • Play Atapattu and Tharanga but Drop Arnold

5 15.15%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Article in todays Sinhala press attribute comments from Ashantha De Mel (SL Chair of Selectors) that Marvan will not play at the expense of Tharanga.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I voted Atapattu and am amazed at the support for Tharanga.

Agreed Atapattu is not your made-for-the-limited=version cricketer but what has Tharanga done so far to gain precedence over a very fine player for Sri Lanka - even in ODI's despite his style?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    what has Tharanga done so far to gain precedence over a very fine player for Sri Lanka?
    Scored runs against Kabir Ali, Stephen Harmison and Liam Plunkett...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Spectator

Will be too late when Tharanga eventually come good!!

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    Tharanga is a class player IMO and will eventually come good

Some times its better to drop a player for his own good. Tharanga is not a bad player. but he is not playing up to his expectations in this word cup. He needs to be dropped. Then he might come good.

But itís unfair for Atapattu to be on the bench when Tharanga is failing. They really need to give Atapattu a chance before its too late.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by jude_aus View Post
    Some times its better to drop a player for his own good. Tharanga is not a bad player. but he is not playing up to his expectations in this word cup. He needs to be dropped. Then he might come good.

But itís unfair for Atapattu to be on the bench when Tharanga is failing. They really need to give Atapattu a chance before its too late.
    Thats a very fair comment indeed.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Scored runs against Kabir Ali, Stephen Harmison and Liam Plunkett...
    You forgot James William Murray Dalrymple and Timothy Thomas Bresnan, two leading England bowlers in his best series.

He has done reasonably well against New Zealand too.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I rate Tharanga as high as anyone here but seriously, it is high time he is dropped. All good players can and do tend to get dropped when not in form. IT is not a slight or an insult (which is how it is taken in India) but just an indication that at that particular time and place, there is someone else who can do a better job. It doesn't mean that Tharanga cannot go on to be a very good batsman at all. But keeping ATapattu on the bench is bordering on stupidity now.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Only problem is the timing. I really do not think that Atapattu should come in at this stage of the proceeding with hardly any match play under his belt. I do think that Tharanga should be dropped, but I think this is the wrong time to do it - hopefully he will find some form in the semi-finals, he is due for some decent runs.

NO

Especially not now!! its too late, Tharanga is a good player, he can come good we saw how devastating he can be, how bout against England when we had the series over there.
    Atapattu is a test player when he plays in the ODI he plays like he is playing a test match.....

Furthermore he is YOUNG, quicker and a better fielder! , why are we trying to discourage young players??? Look how much it has benefited our side! especially in this world cup

Poor fella, he must be feeling the pressure now
    Last edited by Davey; 18-04-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Cricket Spectator

Icon3 Atapattu should have played against Ireland.....

Didn't I tell you guys!! Another duck from Tharanga. Sri Lankan selectors must be blind..

"Ashantha De Mel (SL Chair of Selectors) insists that Marvan will not play at the expense of Tharanga."

What a silly comment by the chairmen of selectors!!!!!
    Last edited by jude_aus; 19-04-2007 at 07:56 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Only problem is the timing. I really do not think that Atapattu should come in at this stage of the proceeding with hardly any match play under his belt. I do think that Tharanga should be dropped, but I think this is the wrong time to do it - hopefully he will find some form in the semi-finals, he is due for some decent runs.
    Sri Lanka lost the last chance to give Atapattu a hit in the last game even if against the minnows. It also shows that they have no intention to drop Tharanga irespective of poor run and Atapattu can only come in if there is an injury problem.

No point at all in dropping Tharanga, he's had a great start to his international career. Atapattu while still a good option in Test Matches isn't that in ODI's so I would be leaving the top 7 as is for the rest of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    No point at all in dropping Tharanga, he's had a great start to his international career. Atapattu while still a good option in Test Matches isn't that in ODI's so I would be leaving the top 7 as is for the rest of the tournament.
    Tharanga has hardly had a great start to his international career. He scored some runs against useless England bowling on flat tracks, and had a good series against NZ. Aside from that, he's actually been pretty awful so far. One of the most over-rated players going around.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Tharanga has hardly had a great start to his international career. He scored some runs against useless England bowling on flat tracks, and had a good series against NZ. Aside from that, he's actually been pretty awful so far. One of the most over-rated players going around.
    So you think Atapattu should open the batting in the Semi Final?

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    So you think Atapattu should open the batting in the Semi Final?
    It's a tough one. I probably would have brought Atapattu in a little earlier than Tharanga - now that they've stuck with him and given Atapattu no gametime, bringing him in for the semi final would be silly. So they're stuck with Tharanga now basically - but to say he's had a great start to his international career would be wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information