• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga

Should selectors pick Atapattu Over Tharanga??

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Play Atapattu and Tharanga but Drop Arnold

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scored runs against Kabir Ali, Stephen Harmison and Liam Plunkett... :mellow:
You forgot James William Murray Dalrymple and Timothy Thomas Bresnan, two leading England bowlers in his best series.

He has done reasonably well against New Zealand too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I rate Tharanga as high as anyone here but seriously, it is high time he is dropped. All good players can and do tend to get dropped when not in form. IT is not a slight or an insult (which is how it is taken in India) but just an indication that at that particular time and place, there is someone else who can do a better job. It doesn't mean that Tharanga cannot go on to be a very good batsman at all. But keeping ATapattu on the bench is bordering on stupidity now.

JBH001

International Regular
Only problem is the timing. I really do not think that Atapattu should come in at this stage of the proceeding with hardly any match play under his belt. I do think that Tharanga should be dropped, but I think this is the wrong time to do it - hopefully he will find some form in the semi-finals, he is due for some decent runs.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
NO

Especially not now!! its too late, Tharanga is a good player, he can come good we saw how devastating he can be, how bout against England when we had the series over there.
Atapattu is a test player when he plays in the ODI he plays like he is playing a test match.....

Furthermore he is YOUNG, quicker and a better fielder! , why are we trying to discourage young players??? Look how much it has benefited our side! especially in this world cup

Poor fella, he must be feeling the pressure now :(

Last edited:

jude_aus

Cricket Spectator
Atapattu should have played against Ireland.....

Didn't I tell you guys!! Another duck from Tharanga. Sri Lankan selectors must be blind..

"Ashantha De Mel (SL Chair of Selectors) insists that Marvan will not play at the expense of Tharanga."

What a silly comment by the chairmen of selectors!!!!!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Only problem is the timing. I really do not think that Atapattu should come in at this stage of the proceeding with hardly any match play under his belt. I do think that Tharanga should be dropped, but I think this is the wrong time to do it - hopefully he will find some form in the semi-finals, he is due for some decent runs.
Sri Lanka lost the last chance to give Atapattu a hit in the last game even if against the minnows. It also shows that they have no intention to drop Tharanga irespective of poor run and Atapattu can only come in if there is an injury problem.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No point at all in dropping Tharanga, he's had a great start to his international career. Atapattu while still a good option in Test Matches isn't that in ODI's so I would be leaving the top 7 as is for the rest of the tournament.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No point at all in dropping Tharanga, he's had a great start to his international career. Atapattu while still a good option in Test Matches isn't that in ODI's so I would be leaving the top 7 as is for the rest of the tournament.
Tharanga has hardly had a great start to his international career. He scored some runs against useless England bowling on flat tracks, and had a good series against NZ. Aside from that, he's actually been pretty awful so far. One of the most over-rated players going around.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tharanga has hardly had a great start to his international career. He scored some runs against useless England bowling on flat tracks, and had a good series against NZ. Aside from that, he's actually been pretty awful so far. One of the most over-rated players going around.
So you think Atapattu should open the batting in the Semi Final?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So you think Atapattu should open the batting in the Semi Final?
It's a tough one. I probably would have brought Atapattu in a little earlier than Tharanga - now that they've stuck with him and given Atapattu no gametime, bringing him in for the semi final would be silly. So they're stuck with Tharanga now basically - but to say he's had a great start to his international career would be wrong.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a minnow basher. He has slaughtered the weak bowling sides (England included) and has done almost nothing of note against a decent attack, apart from the one good series against New Zealand.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a minnow basher. He has slaughtered the weak bowling sides (England included) and has done almost nothing of note against a decent attack, apart from the one good series against New Zealand.
Really wasn't any need for the last line, to be honest. :unsure: :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
An average of 28 and economy rate of 4.6 suggests he is pretty good. Certainly not a weak link or anything.
Never looked anything special to me and i know numbers are ok, but they don't always tell the story. Vettori is fair greater then Mills and his numbers are a lot worse. Maharoof got some pretty good numbers, but his really average. Looking at that bowling attack Carins was also past it. Stryris might be bowling well now, but overall his not that great. So really it leaves Bond, was like his first series back, Vettori and Oram. Not the greatest attack really, the current Bangladesh attack would be on par really.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never looked anything special to me and i know numbers are ok, but they don't always tell the story. Vettori is fair greater then Mills and his numbers are a lot worse. Maharoof got some pretty good numbers, but his really average. Looking at that bowling attack Carins was also past it. Stryris might be bowling well now, but overall his not that great. So really it leaves Bond, was like his first series back, Vettori and Oram. Not the greatest attack really, the current Bangladesh attack would be on par really.
Bond is one of, if not the best ODI bowler in the world. Vettori is a very good spinner and also had Styris for support during the middle overs, they are both very effective at choking the opposition and tightening the screws. Cairns was "past it" as you say but he was still a good bowler, he had an excellent slower ball and generated good pace and swing. Mills doesn't look special, but his ability in the early overs to keep the line and length going, as well as swinging and seaming the ball is a perfect foil for Shane Bond.

I find it ludicrous that you are comparing us to the Bangladesh attack, if the same Sri Lankan batting lineup played against both bowling attacks then I'd be pretty confident we would restrict them to less than what Bangladesh would.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bond is one of, if not the best ODI bowler in the world. Vettori is a very good spinner and also had Styris for support during the middle overs, they are both very effective at choking the opposition and tightening the screws. Cairns was "past it" as you say but he was still a good bowler, he had an excellent slower ball and generated good pace and swing. Mills doesn't look special, but his ability in the early overs to keep the line and length going, as well as swinging and seaming the ball is a perfect foil for Shane Bond.

I find it ludicrous that you are comparing us to the Bangladesh attack, if the same Sri Lankan batting lineup played against both bowling attacks then I'd be pretty confident we would restrict them to less than what Bangladesh would.
The Bangladesh bowling attack is not that bad really, its their batting that lets them down. More often then not the Kiwi bowling attack will restrict them to far lower total. But really when you consider Bond wasn't that fit in that series the gap isn't that significant. The Bangladesh bowlers have some pretty good records really, Razzaq (22 Ave), Mortaza (29), Rasel (26), Rafique (39), Hasan (30). Really its not a minnow bowling attack anymore.