• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

pasag

RTDAS
Ok... the Final of the most coveted Prize in World Cricket has nothing to do with this discussion on the second best team in World Cricket in ODIs ....

Despite it being against the best Team in World Cricket.....:wacko: :blink:
Yep, Sri Lanka beating Australia does not prove Sri Lanka>SA. I don't see how you could say it would. World Cup results mean little to me as an indication on how good sides are in relation to each other. Would you say Bangladesh and Ireland and better than India and Pakistan? I certainly wouldn't by a long shot. Same thing here. Regardless of the result come the weekend (Any Given Sunday etc), it has little impact on who is largely better or worse. If SL win, I'll still say SA>SL.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Current form means quite a bit in terms of one match.

However it means approximately 0 as to how good a side is overall.
Agree because SA haven't got to the Final...

Because the conditions didn't suit them , am I correct ..:)

The next time SA do well in a tournament of course it will definitely mean something...particularly in conditions that will suit them ...:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, Sri Lanka beating Australia does not prove Sri Lanka>SA. I don't see how you could say it would. World Cup results mean little to me as an indication on how good sides are in relation to each other. Would you say Bangladesh and Ireland and better than India and Pakistan? I certainly wouldn't by a long shot. Same thing here. Regardless of the result come the weekend (Any Given Sunday etc), it has little impact on who is largely better or worse. If SL win, I'll still say SA>SL.
Of course..World Cups mean nothing ... particularly if the conditions didn't suit SA ..:laugh:

World Cup results will mean something if SA or Australia won it ...:)

I wonder if you would say otherwise if Australia as expected win on Sunday...

pup11

International Coach
The Final on 28th would be the last WC game for lot of players from both sides, and it would be the last game for McGrath and Arnold.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
JASON said:
Agree because SA haven't got to the Final...
I don't see how who was in the final was at all relevant to my post, which was non-team specific..

Because the conditions didn't suit them , am I correct ..
South Africa didn't make the final because they played like crap for the mostpart of the tournament. This was caused by a few factors - one being the conditions, yes. You can't deny that the conditions didn't suit them. It wasn't the sole reason though - the fact that quite a few of their players were out of form during the tournament, their ridiculous non-selection of Dippenaar in the squad and the fact that they let the Australians get inside their heads so much were also qute important. I refuse to believe they did poorly because they have a poor team though, because that's clearly not true.

pasag

RTDAS
Of course..World Cups mean nothing ... particularly if the conditions didn't suit SA ..:laugh:

World Cup results will mean something if SA or Australia won it ...:)

I wonder if you would say otherwise if Australia as expected win on Sunday...
Sigh, it's basically impossible to argue anything with you. You never really respond to the point at hand, but instead add some silly repetitious one-liner (if you could call it that) and about 17 emoticons.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how who was in the final was at all relevant to my post, which was non-team specific..

South Africa didn't make the final because they played like crap for the mostpart of the tournament. This was caused by a few factors - one being the conditions, yes. You can't deny that the conditions didn't suit them. It wasn't the sole reason though - the fact that quite a few of their players were out of form during the tournament, their ridiculous non-selection of Dippenaar in the squad and the fact that they let the Australians get inside their heads so much were also qute important. I refuse to believe they did poorly because they have a poor team though, because that's clearly not true.
Yes ...In fact in future we shall endeavour to play all World Cups in conditions that suit SA and only (and I stress again only ) when SA players are in form :laugh: and ...(again I stress) they be allowed to select few more players to the squad as they wish... :laugh: All future World Cups will be played only under these conditions...

Happy ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sigh, it's basically impossible to argue anything with you. You never really respond to the point at hand, but instead add some silly repetitious one-liner (if you could call it that) and about 17 emoticons.
Dire :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes ...In fact in future we shall endeavour to play all World Cups in conditions that suit SA and only (and I stress again only ) when SA players are in form :laugh: and ...(again I stress) they be allowed to select few more players to the squad as they wish... :laugh: All future World Cups will be played only under these conditions...

Happy ?
Dire.

I'm not saying they deserve to be in the final because they clearly don't. But there are always reasons why a team does poorly and I was simply outlining South Africa's. Zimbabwe did poorly, for example, because all their players are rubbish.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Dire.

I'm not saying they deserve to be in the final because they clearly don't. But there are always reasons why a team does poorly and I was simply outlining South Africa's. Zimbabwe did poorly, for example, because all their players are rubbish.
NO...NO ...I won't have it.....

They should've been in the Final....because they are quite simply the second best Team....despite what you might say... its just that the conditions didn't suit them...and unfortunately some players were out of form (who I am beginning to scratch my head :blink: ...considering Smith/Kallis/Gibbs/AB were all among high scorers )
and they should've been allowed to have another spare squad just to help them out...its not their fault is it..

No in fact in future SA should be automatically allowed to reach the Final because quite simply they are the second best Team.And yes Zimbabwe are rubbish...at least something we can agree on mutually..despite our differences.:)

rpcfernando

Cricket Spectator
Who can say SA greater than SL?
Could they able to win 2003 world cup or at least come in to final in thier home condition?
What happend to SA in last tour of Sri Lanka they lost terribly to SL
IF SA is world NUmber 2 then they should performe well in any condition any where in the world

In other hand resent past SL has performed well in NW EN WI and home condition with this perfomence who can argue SA better than SL

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia have not been tested and the credit for that goes to ?? Well Australia, they have played so well that no opposited even stood any chance to test them.
I think Mcgrath is the only Aussie player in this tournament who is still playing ODIs and if he Mcgrath remembers anything from that match then it will only motivate him and that doesn't sound like good news for SriLankan batsmen.
1. ok once again...the reason why they haven't had a close game is because they have been playing at a level much higher than their opponents...the way you put it, it seems you are suggesting they've just had it easy till now.......
Obviously you missed my prior response - repoduced below. We are more in agreement than you think as Aus can only play the situation that is presented to them.

"Aus are playing great cricket right now, but have not been tested in this cup (obviously not their fault)"

Mcgrath and Ponting both played in the '96 finals. Aus collapsed from a healthy 152/2 at the 30 over mark, to crawl to 241 on a perfect batting pitch with a fast outfield, after the now famous "Lankan strangle" was put into effect. Thats where the match was won by SL as Aus simply did not have enough runs on the board. The dew factor later on in the evening is just a convenient beat up to hide this fact.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Who can say SA greater than SL?
Could they able to win 2003 world cup or at least come in to final in thier home condition?
What happend to SA in last tour of Sri Lanka they lost terribly to SL
IF SA is world NUmber 2 then they should performe well in any condition any where in the world

In other hand resent past SL has performed well in NW EN WI and home condition with this perfomence who can argue SA better than SL
Thanks Mate...I have repeated this over and over here ...doesn't seem to be getting thru some of these guys.:happy:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a time when I was the only Sri Lankan on this forum. Then Chaminda came along and also Dinu . Then we also had Nookie in between coming and going. Also Legglancer and Chip monk came along .Then JBH came along ...Now you guys (Shehan Wije and Fernando rpc) ....

I hope soon we will have enough here for a Sri lankan Team so we can argue with these guys as a SL Team for trying to put down our players and our achievements in Cricket. :happy:

pasag

RTDAS
There was a time when I was the only Sri Lankan on this forum. Then Chaminda came along and also Dinu . Then we also had Nookie in between coming and going. Also Legglancer and Chip monk came along .Then JBH came along ...Now you guys (Shehan Wije and Fernando rpc) ....

I hope soon we will have enough here for a Sri lankan Team so we can argue with these guys as a SL Team for trying to put down our players and our achievements in Cricket. :happy:
Haha your too much sometimes, really. Arguing a point in cricket is trying to put down Sri Lanka? Try getting over your inferiority complex and slight paranoia. Sri Lanka happen to be my second favourite team yet me (and Prince) saying Bond was off colour against them and South Africa are better then them is trying to putting them down and belittle their achievements? We go way back Jason and I expected much better than that ffs.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha your too much sometimes, really. Arguing a point in cricket is trying to put down Sri Lanka? Try getting over your inferiority complex and slight paranoia. Sri Lanka happen to be my second favourite team yet me (and Prince) saying Bond was off colour against them and South Africa are better then them is trying to putting them down and belittle their achievements? We go way back Jason and I expected much better than that ffs.
I have no inferiority complex ... thats why I can come out and post replies to you guys without any complex inferiority or superiority.... or otherwise

The Truth is the best 2 Teams in ODI cricket reached the Final.

FFS admit that and don't let you superiority complex or inferiority complex stand in the way of admitting that .... and then we all move on...

FFS I have enough of you Saffie sympathisers bleating excuses and still claiming they are the second best Team.... They are over inflated massively ....they are chokers time after time ....Get over it....

The same WRT NZ...they were massively over hyped after CH series in NZ against a depleted Australian side....

SL are the second Best Team in ODIs and that's why they are in the Final...Admit and we can all move on..

FFS I expected better from you..man...you are a disappointment and bleating apologist for the wingeing SA Team.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think anybody's arguing the point of Sri Lanka being a bad team TBH.
They would be damn stupid if they did , given the Team is the second Best Team in the World. And possibly on the verge of becoming the best Team ...:)

pasag

RTDAS
I have no inferiority complex ... thats why I can come out and post replies to you guys without any complex inferiority or superiority.... or otherwise

The Truth is the best 2 Teams in ODI cricket reached the Final.

FFS admit that and don't let you superiority complex or inferiority complex stand in the way of admitting that .... and then we all move on...

FFS I have enough of you Saffie sympathisers bleating excuses and still claiming they are the second best Team.... They are over inflated massively ....they are chokers time after time ....Get over it....

The same WRT NZ...they were massively over hyped after CH series in NZ against a depleted Australian side....

SL are the second Best Team in ODIs and that's why they are in the Final...Admit and we can all move on..

FFS I expected better from you..man...you are a disappointment and bleating apologist for the wingeing SA Team.
Hahaha, funniest post. I have to wonder what planet you're on when a person takes an objective view of a situation that has no impact on the side he supports but you still accuse them of being a "bleating apologist." I'm no fan of South Africa, I probably like them the least on world cricket, but in your twisted reasoning, since I argue SA>SL, them I'm a disappointment and "bleating apologist". Really poor form on your part and I really didn't think you were that biased, but apparently you are.