• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its a very interesting battle. Lets examine.

Batting :

1. Depth versus Starpower Sri Lanka has three real stars in Jayasuriya, Sangakarra and Mahela. But the rest of it is not so classy thouch Chamara has been very impressive. If Tharanga had been in good form the depth would have been there. Today they seem to rely heavily on the fabulous trio.

Kiwis do not have star power but they do have depth. Right upto number eight they have the strength to provide match winning performance. I never give up on a Newzealand innings like I never do for Aussies. Imagine someone like Oram so low in the order and Vetori can bat, cant he.

Skills versus Spirit : While Sri Lankans look very good on the batting crease its the Kiwis who display nerves of steel. As John Wright has written this morning, a lot of resolve with some skill will go a long way while a lot of skill with poor resolve may flounder. I am not saying that will be Sri Lanka's fate but its a stark difference.

Playing to Win : Of late, I have not seen a Kiwi side give up on a chase just because they have lost many wickets to early. They dont mind being bowled out in 30 overs by trying to achieve the impossible rather than play out the fifty overs with some wwickets and a hundred runs stil to go. It has some clear advantages

a) There are no draws in ODI's
b) Miracles may be very rare but they have happened but they never happen to those who dont believe in them.
c) Even if you are going to lose in a futile run chase, it is a great lesson to the lower order batsman to be put in that situation and made to fight every inch of the way. Lessons on dour batting can be learned elsewhere.

Unfortunately subcontinental teams prefer pride howsoever hollow (I hope Sri Lanka wont) as do teams like England. Kiwis dont and I like that.

Bowling

Depth and variety Inspite of whats been written elsewhere i dont think either team lacks depth and variety in attack. Both have pacers, medium pacers, and a couple of spinners each. Sri Lanka may just appear to have more variety and Kiwis more depth. Where they differ is the emphasis of the strike bowlers.

Spin wizard versus Super Fast Bowler With all the other bowlers around him Bond is the star and real match winner in the Kiwi line up. The Srilankan destroyer is a spinner and thats a big difference and maybe the wicket will help one more than the other.

Although the others in the line up are not to be dismissed easily. Vetori as the main spinner (ably helped by Patel so far) in NZL and Malinga and Vaas to help Murali makes these two sides very impressive in the bowling department. I think if you add Franklin, Oram and Styris in one side and Jayasuriya, Fernando and Dilshan to the other you find the Sri Lankan side slightly better looking.

The plus for Kiwis is Bond and thats because he strikes early.

Fielding
These are two fabulous fielding sides and will provide a great spectacle on the field. I will rate Kiwis higher in slip catching and hitting the stumps and the Sri Lankans in catching in the outfield and wicket keeping.

I think we have a tie here.

Conclusion :

I think we have a very close match up here. Whether it results in a close game too is to be seen. I would rate Sri Lanka higher but I think if Sri Lanka bat first we may see an early decider to the match. Jayasuriya can take it one way and Bond the other. I would love Sri Lanka to bat first and se this for myself before my tired eyes force me lower on the pillow before the second innings gets underway. But I have a funny feeling, those who stay awake will be rewarded handsomely.

Oh yes. One more thing and very important.

I think Kiwis handle pressure better particularly when batting.

AND Fleming is a better captain while Mahela has an edge in resources.

:) :) :)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting onto some serious discussion - (after the rubbish about Lions and hunting)

Too many things favouring NZ this time IMO .

One thing is the pitch .

Second is the fact that these 2 teams are so evenly matched that previously everything has been tied . ie Test series/ODIs -even the World Cup games between the two teams is tied at 3 a piece. Given that , and since SL won the last encounter , the law of averages tells me this time it must be NZ.... am pretty worried about this more than anything.:mellow:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I love watching these teams play, Sri Lanka are in my opinion the best looking bowling outfit in the world. New Zealands depth is the only saving grace facing it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Getting onto some serious discussion - (after the rubbish about Lions and hunting)

Too many things favouring NZ this time IMO .

One thing is the pitch .

Second is the fact that these 2 teams are so evenly matched that previously everything has been tied . ie Test series/ODIs -even the World Cup games between the two teams is tied at 3 a piece. Given that , and since SL won the last encounter , the law of averages tells me this time it must be NZ.... am pretty worried about this more than anything.:mellow:

Hi Jason

I am convinced that you are superstitious about predicting a Sri Lankan win. So you prefer to keep saying the other side is likely to win because you think this will ward off the evil eye from your team.

Right ??:)

pasag

RTDAS
Nice post SJS. I'm quite excited about tonight. Don't think I've ever been so unsure about an outcome to a cricket match in my life. I only hope that both sides don't take the conservative and safe route, instead of playing attacking and exciting cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nice post SJS. I'm quite excited about tonight. Don't think I've ever been so unsure about an outcome to a cricket match in my life. I only hope that both sides don't take the conservative and safe route, instead of playing attacking and exciting cricket.
I dont think that will happen unless the bowlers just bowl too well and the batsman have a struggle on hands. I consider that a fantastic spectacle even if runs are at a premium.

That is a REAL cricket contest.

I hope the bowlers on both sides bowl superbly and the batsman play out of their skins to post totals around 200-220 and we ahve some fighting cricket till the end. That will be great cricket.

pup11

International Coach
I think the lack of batting depth might hurt Sri Lanka today, they lack hard-hitting players lower down the order which really is handicap for them in the last 10 overs.

So one of the top 4 lankan batsmen would have to bat through the 50 overs for their batting to be more effective, but a certain Mr.Bond could have something to say about that.

FILOCRICKET

Banned
Will Agent Shane Bond be participating in Lion Hunting on Tuesday? I really want NZ to win tonight, the soup awaits my blessings for Saturday

rpcfernando

Cricket Spectator
Will Agent Shane Bond be participating in Lion Hunting on Tuesday? I really want NZ to win tonight, the soup awaits my blessings for Saturday
Mr. Bond is another bowler for Jayasuriya Do you know how many bowlers future destroyed by him Mr. Bond better find a place to hide

as well as on Saturday night good for lion they have kangaroo for dinner

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mr. Bond is another bowler for Jayasuriya Do you know how many bowlers future destroyed by him Mr. Bond better find a place to hide

You're quite right, Bonds illustrious 4 year future will be destroyed by Jayasuriya. :laugh:
Hes not a young sprite you know.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should be a great game tonight, just hoping that both teams play some good cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your quite right, Bonds illustrious 4 year future will be destroyed by Jayasuriya. :laugh:
Hes not a young sprite you know.
No, but he has been bowling superbly. As has Glenn McGrath, and I don't think anyone would call him young.

FILOCRICKET

Banned
Cant wait for this

AGENT SHANE BOND VS SANATH JAYASURIYA

STEPHEN FLEMING VS CHAMINDA VAAS

SCOTT STYRIS VS MUTTIAH MULALITHARAN

MAHELA JAYAWARDENE v DANIEL VETTORI

LET THE RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE BEGIN

Athlai

Not Terrible
No, but he has been bowling superbly. As has Glenn McGrath, and I don't think anyone would call him young.
Bonds slower ball is probably one of my favourite to watch in the world. Because he bowls in practically the same fashion and the ball is going 20km less. Its immense.

Bond is class.

Fiery

Banned

:laugh: Flagrant misuse of the full stop there

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cant wait for this

AGENT SHANE BOND VS SANATH JAYASURIYA

STEPHEN FLEMING VS CHAMINDA VAAS :laugh:

SCOTT STYRIS VS MUTTIAH MULALITHARAN

MAHELA JAYAWARDENE v DANIEL VETTORI

LET THE RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE BEGIN
Fleming vs Vaas, it could be awesome, I really hope it is.

Athlai

Not Terrible

What if South Africa win, isn't their symbol a flower?
Do lions eat flowers? Wouldn't it make said lion sick. :-O