• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hopes named as cover for Watson

readie

State Regular
How old is Henriques? 19, 20? Far too young to be picking him, especially since he hasn't even established himself in the NSW first choice team.
In hindsight pretty stupid comment from me, however I will stick by my prediction that he will play a One - dayer for aus next year. He'll have a big state season next year

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are NSW not giving him a game? :huh: Pretty stupid on their part I would think.
Well, he keeps getting injured. Had a groin injury on and off for the whole season which made it hard for him to cement a spot in the side. Which makes it quite ironic that the same people who have said that Watson is too injury-prone are calling for the guy - he's had more injury problems than Watto recently!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are NSW not giving him a game? :huh: Pretty stupid on their part I would think.
He is getting some game time, but is getting injured too often to be a consistent name on the team sheet.

In hindsight pretty stupid comment from me, however I will stick by my prediction that he will play a One - dayer for aus next year. He'll have a big state season next year
Very big call, he has done nothing for NSW to suggest that he will have a big season, or play ODI cricket for Australia. His ODI bowling has been very expensive while his batting has been pretty average, given time to establish himself though I think he will become a star. Just not yet, I wouldn't want the selectors to ruin him by picking him when he is too young.

All Rodgie's fault.
We can blame a lot of things on Rodgie, but this?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had he not had him in his avatar, the situation would clearly be different. Rodgie brings ill on all he surveys.

(I'm being mildly TIC, BTW)

pup11

International Coach
Watson is possibly gonna be back for the Sri Lankan game, but hope he doesn't rush himself back into the team, because if he injures himself again during a big game like semi-final or final then that would really piss me off.

P.S: IMO, Moises Henriques is one really talented bloke i was really impressed with the way he performed during the U-19 WC, but he is just too young and inexperienced to make it into the Australian side, atm.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson is possibly gonna be back for the Sri Lankan game, but hope he doesn't rush himself back into the team, because if he injures himself again during a big game like semi-final or final then that would really piss me off.
It would indeed be very unfortunate if he came back to soon and reinjured his calf, I'm sure with the amount of medical staff around he'll know when the time is right and his calf is fully healed.

P.S: IMO, Moises Henriques is one really talented bloke i was really impressed with the way he performed during the U-19 WC, but he is just too young and inexperienced to make it into the Australian side, atm.
Definately, can't even beleive some people are entertaining the thought of him playing ODI's next year. He hasn't done anything of note at a domestic level to see that he's even in the running.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Quite Frankly, you can replace Watson with just about anyone! Waste of valuable cricketing roster space!

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
Shane Watson is not a big loss, pluss Hodge can bowl off-breaks. Hodge is a better bat and the depth of the aussie bowling shouldn't be affected Watson's departure/

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Henriques did bowl pretty well in a FC game and took 5, and batted decently in a one dayer too. Obviously it's not anything that would get him considered for international cricket, but he's shown glimpses of ability. Give it a couple of years, anyway.

Watson is in fact a pretty big loss, but it looks like he'll be back soon. Hopefully it won't be too much of a setback form wise, as he was playing quite well.

pup11

International Coach
Anyone who thinks that Watson is not a big loss really needs to have good look at what England did with Australia's 5th bowling option (Clarke+Symonds).

Though England weren't able to take advantage of that platform, but against other good teams Aussies are not gonna get away the way they did against England.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Interesting question, who would the next all-rounder be after Hopes? We dont seem to have many high quality ones coming through atm.