• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catch Of The Tournament

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Chaminda Vaas' catch was by far the best, i can't even remember what the other where considering how much better it was.

Dissector

International Debutant
Actually the Bermudans took two superb catches apart from Leverock. One in each game and both of them were diving catches in the outfield though I don't remember the players.

But the Leverock catch has to be among the great moments of WC history simply because of the man and the context. Even Steve Waugh mentioned it in one of his columns.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hello! Murali is always a good fielder!
Exactly , The guy has 120 odd catches in ODI's more than most of the Aussies...His so poor fielding was built up by " the Aussie Media " who obviously wanted something they could hang him on since they couldn't bear the success he was getting with his bowling...and lately the NZ media also took it on -passed on by the Aussies.. For all my Memory - (and I have followed SL Cricket for an awfully long time) Murali has always been a great fielder either in the inner circle or in the outfield. !!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly , The guy has 120 odd catches in ODI's more than most of the Aussies...His so poor fielding was built up by " the Aussie Media " who obviously wanted something they could hang him on since they couldn't bear the success he was getting with his bowling...and lately the NZ media also took it on -passed on by the Aussies.. For all my Memory - (and I have followed SL Cricket for an awfully long time) Murali has always been a great fielder either in the inner circle or in the outfield. !!
Not going to pretend that I've seen more Sri Lankan cricket than you because I would be lying, but in my eyes Murali has always been a very average fielder. Serviceable catcher but not very good throwing, running or diving.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Not going to pretend that I've seen more Sri Lankan cricket than you because I would be lying, but in my eyes Murali has always been a very average fielder. Serviceable catcher but not very good throwing, running or diving.
I would say the opposite.. After Dilshan, Arnold and Jayawardene ,Murali is the next best field in the SL team ... And definitely better than Vaas, Sanath J, Tharanga, Malinga and others... He has taken 120 odd catches in ODIs alone , can't say off hand how many in Tests ...but maybe someone else can..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would say the opposite.. After Dilshan, Arnold and Jayawardene ,Murali is the next best field in the SL team ... And definitely better than Vaas, Sanath J, Tharanga, Malinga and others... He has taken 120 odd catches in ODIs alone , can't say off hand how many in Tests ...but maybe someone else can..
He has taken 59 catches in Test matches, I always thought Vaas was a fairly handy fielder even if he wasn't that quick. Jayasuriya is solid in the gully and I haven't seen enough of Thranga and Malinga to comment.

pup11

International Coach
Leverock's catch was a pretty good one IMO, since you don't see a 129 kilo man leaping in the air to take a catch everyday do you?

shankar

International Debutant
Surprised that Tucker's catch in the outfield in the same Ind-Bermuda match which, IMO was better than Leverock's, hasn't got a mention.

Natman20

International Debutant
Hello everybody. What do we have here?? Oh it's a thread started a long time ago that is practically the same as 'Catch of the World Cup' thread.

Sorry bout that rubbish. Anyway this thread has links to a few catches in the early stages of the world cup. (I couldn't be bothered posting them in the other thread :laugh: )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hello everybody. What do we have here?? Oh it's a thread started a long time ago that is practically the same as 'Catch of the World Cup' thread.

Sorry bout that rubbish. Anyway this thread has links to a few catches in the early stages of the world cup. (I couldn't be bothered posting them in the other thread :laugh: )
I wonder if a moderator should close the other thread since this is the original thread . Or merge the 2 threads...