• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web's Day by Day Preview of all 16 Nations

Fiery

Banned
This is an excellent idea for a thread and has highlighted the writing talents of the members who have contributed. I thought the articles on the minnows were particularly interesting given that I knew little about their progress or their players. It will make the tournament more enjoyable for me having read these articles so thanks guys

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Awesome articles fellas, these beat the profiles that have been written in various newspapers and websites prior to the WC tbh. Great stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well-written, as you'd expect, not over-emphasising the positives (as so many English writers are prone to do, not to mention a few of the posters on here).

I'm just a bit unsure, though, about this bit:
Should the weather be overcast, their pace attack is one of the strongest in the world at exploiting favourable conditions.
Hmm... I'd personally fancy South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Sri Lanka ahead of us and probably no more than even-money compared to India and West Indies, though probably ahead of Pakistan with all the missing bowlers.

I wouldn't want to over-emphasise one paragraph of an otherwise excellent article, but it's about the only thing I can find to discuss.

Plunkett might have managed a few unplayable deliveries at night (more swing-favourable than day) in Sydney (the most swing-friendly ground in Australia) with some of the most swing-friendly weather imaginable but I don't think that really qualifies him to be one of the best bowlers in The World at exploiting favourable conditions. Mahmood, well... enough already said. Flintoff is more of a seam than swing bowler, though obviously he is capable of it, and Lewis just doesn't inspire confidence in me, he's too inconsistent. Anderson near enough an identical bowler, just a few mph faster.

I'll say it again, though - just because that's 5\6ths of this post critical, don't get the idea that it's 5\6ths a poor article! :)

pup11

International Coach
Great article there, i think lots of people are not giving England much of chance due to their overall record in odi cricket in recent past.

But if you look at their team they certainly do have the players who can do the job, they just need to play as an unit and then they could do a lot better than most people expect them to do in the WC.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Oh bugger, no I didn't.

Ahh well, there it is now, and it would have been well see by people going through the frontpage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was a serious question. I thought it was a good article and was going to congratulate him.
I know it was a serious question - guess I should be a bit more sensitive given recent happenings...

It's pretty oft-discussed that he chose the forum-name _Ed_ as part of his surname, so I was just surprised you hadn't spotted that anywhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just good to see a feature written by Popa again. :thumbs_up:

Haven't read any of his stuff for ages...