• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Thread

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
lol

You're so easily baited. I'm quite certain Richard Kelly will get capped before the World Cup, so I'd definitely say his chances are greater than "slim".
Looks like I was right. Hasn't been capped yet. Too bad. Thought he deserved a chance to prove himself along with Sylvester Joseph.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like I was right. Hasn't been capped yet. Too bad. Thought he deserved a chance to prove himself along with Sylvester Joseph.
What has Joseph done in OD cricket to get a cap? It baffles me that Rayad Emrit will get capped before Richard Kelly. It truly does.

roseboy64

At the moment it's:

Lara
Gayle
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Samuels
Smith
Taylor
Bradshaw

as sure picks for me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

At the moment it's:

Lara
Gayle
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Samuels
Smith
Taylor
Bradshaw

as sure picks for me.
There is no alternative to Denesh Ramdin. Carlton Baugh has been poor. Ramdin will play in the World Cup, especially since he got some runs in his last innings prior to it.

Corey Collymore is a certainty. Can't believe you left him out.

Dwayne Bravo, anyone? Come on! He must be there.

At least one of Edwards, Lawson or Powell will be there too. Possibly 2. You'd also expect Dave Mohammed to be there.

It's pathetic that Collins isn't in the probables. The selectors are worthless.

My ideal WC squad:

BC Lara (c)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
S Chanderpaul
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
KA Pollard
CH Gayle
DS Smith
JE Taylor
CD Collymore
IDR Bradshaw
D Mohammed
DB Powell
JJC Lawson

Possibly Dwayne Smith in for one of Powell or Lawson.

roseboy64

There is no alternative to Denesh Ramdin. Carlton Baugh has been poor. Ramdin will play in the World Cup, especially since he got some runs in his last innings prior to it.

Corey Collymore is a certainty. Can't believe you left him out.

Dwayne Bravo, anyone? Come on! He must be there.

At least one of Edwards, Lawson or Powell will be there too. Possibly 2. You'd also expect Dave Mohammed to be there.

It's pathetic that Collins isn't in the probables. The selectors are worthless.

My ideal WC squad:

BC Lara (c)
RR Sarwan (vc)
D Ramdin (wk)
S Chanderpaul
DJJ Bravo
MN Samuels
KA Pollard
CH Gayle
DS Smith
JE Taylor
CD Collymore
IDR Bradshaw
D Mohammed
DB Powell
JJC Lawson

Possibly Dwayne Smith in for one of Powell or Lawson.
Forgot about Bravo there. I did consider Edwards, Collymore, Lawson and Powell though. Might agree with you on Ramdin but in the OD game I regard Baugh as the safer choice. More explosive and won't exactly sweep with the match in the balance.

Anyway I agree with your squad except I think Morton will get in over Devon Smith with Dwayne coming in for Lawson. Powell has performed well enough that the selectors would regard him higher than Lawson going into the WC unless the latter starts not just taking wickets but absoluely destroying teams.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Forgot about Bravo there. I did consider Edwards, Collymore, Lawson and Powell though. Might agree with you on Ramdin but in the OD game I regard Baugh as the safer choice. More explosive and won't exactly sweep with the match in the balance.
Struggling to see the logic there.
Carlton Baugh has never had genuine success in OD cricket. He averages less than 20 in List-A matches!
He has 2 fifties in 43 innings. Ramdin not only averages over 27, but he has 3 fifties in 38 innings and a SR of about 10 runs more in ODI cricket.
Baugh averages 15.50 with a SR of 69.40 in ODI cricket.
Ramdin averages 27.46 with a SR of 79.33 in ODI cricket.

And on recent form Baugh has been even worse than his career record suggests.
Neither has been particularly good with the gloves lately, but Ramdin has looked good more often than Baugh has in his career.

Baffling that Baugh is a safer bet than Ramdin in your mind.
Powell has performed well enough that the selectors would regard him higher than Lawson going into the WC unless the latter starts not just taking wickets but absoluely destroying teams.
24 wickets in 4 matches is pretty sharp tbh. And he's destroyed two teams this season from memory.

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Struggling to see the logic there.
Carlton Baugh has never had genuine success in OD cricket. He averages less than 20 in List-A matches!
He has 2 fifties in 43 innings. Ramdin not only averages over 27, but he has 3 fifties in 38 innings and a SR of about 10 runs more in ODI cricket.
Baugh averages 15.50 with a SR of 69.40 in ODI cricket.
Ramdin averages 27.46 with a SR of 79.33 in ODI cricket.

And on recent form Baugh has been even worse than his career record suggests.
Neither has been particularly good with the gloves lately, but Ramdin has looked good more often than Baugh has in his career.

Baffling that Baugh is a safer bet than Ramdin in your mind.
ATM I just prefer Baugh to Ramdin. Not much between them though.
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
24 wickets in 4 matches is pretty sharp tbh. And he's destroyed two teams this season from memory.
You never know with West Indies selectors.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What about the bowlers in the WI squad ?.Would I be right in thinking that these are the bowlers in contention.
Jerome Taylor
Ian Bradshaw
Fidel Edwards
Daren Powell
Corey Collymore
Dave Mohammed

Any up and coming young WI bowlers trying to push for a place in the WC squad.What about the chances of more established names like
Pedro Collins
Deighton Butler
Merv Dillon
and that pacey but wayward bowler Tino Best

Mr Mxyzptlk

Any up and coming young WI bowlers trying to push for a place in the WC squad.What about the chances of more established names like
Pedro Collins
Deighton Butler
Merv Dillon
and that pacey but wayward bowler Tino Best
There is absolutely no chance of Dillon or Best being included in the World Cup squad. And thank God for that too.

Pedro Collins has been bowling superbly of late, but he's not in the provisional 30. I'd certainly prefer him to Edwards in the squad. Deighton Butler may never play for the West Indies again. Not quite up to it, IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ramdin is not dramatically better at the moment.
Have you been ignoring all the statistics I posted??

Ramdin is a half-decent OD batsman. Baugh is an extremely substandard OD batsman and he has proven this time and time again. I don't like to implicate national bias, but this truly baffling.