• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Thread

adharcric

International Coach
The selectors are set to announce a 30-man list of probables at Rajkot on January 12. The final round (before the playoffs) of the Ranji Trophy will conclude on January 13, so we should have a good idea of who deserves to be in the list of probables. Obviously, the final 14 for the World Cup will be selected after considering performances in the one-dayers against the West Indies and Sri Lanka. The final 14-man squad will be named on February 11. Here are my probables ...

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'll have a shot:

Batsmen
R Dravid, S Tendulkar, W Jaffer, M Kaif, VVS Laxman, D Mongia, S Raina, V Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, R Uthappa, Y Venugopal Rao, G Gambhir, S Ganguly, R Sharma.

Allrounders
I Pathan, Joginder Sharma, R Powar.

Wicket-keepers
MS Dhoni, D Karthik

Seam Bowlers
A Agarkar, Zaheer Khan, M Patel, S Sreesanth, VRV Singh, RP Singh, I Sharma, P Kumar.

Spin Bowlers
A Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, M Kartik.

Toss up between Badrinath and Rohit Sharma for he last batting slot.

adharcric

International Coach
Good work JJ, pretty much spot on there.

Opening Batsmen
S Tendulkar, V Sehwag, S Ganguly, R Uthappa, G Gambhir, W Jaffer

Middle-Order Batsmen
R Dravid, Y Singh, VVS Laxman, D Mongia, M Kaif, S Badrinath, S Raina, R Sharma, V Rao

Wicketkeepers
MS Dhoni, D Karthik

Seam Bowlers
Z Khan, M Patel, S Sreesanth, I Pathan, A Agarkar, RP Singh, I Sharma, J Sharma, VRV Singh

Spin Bowlers
A Kumble, H Singh, R Powar, P Chawla

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
World Cup probables Rahul Dravid (capt), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Sreesanth, Ajit Agarkar, Suresh Raina, Ramesh Powar, Anil Kumble, Rudra Pratap Singh, Dinesh Mongia, VRV Singh, Robin Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik, Sourav Ganguly, Parthiv Patel, Zaheer Khan, VVS Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, S. Badrinath, Ishant Sharma, Rajesh Pawar, Joginder Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/276198.html

From Jumbo's tips: No Jaffer (instead Pujara). No Venugopal Rao (instead Badrinath). No Pravin Kumar (instead an extra wickie, Parthiv). No Murali Kartik (instead Rajesh Pawar - odd...).

From adharcric's tips: Parthiv instead of Venugopal Rao, Pujara instead of Jaffer, and Rajesh Pawar over Piyush.

Well. Not too much to debate about really. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hi guys,
I'm confident that this time around India will not only reach the final of the cup just like last time around but will also win it, i have several reasons for it.

1, They have the best batting lineup in the world.Guys like Sehwag can be made 2 sit out coz India has blasters liek Uthappa.In contrast Australia seems 2 struggle in the absence of Symonds!What greg seems 2 have done for India, is that by experimenting all these years he seems 2 have found out a replacement player for every position!!

2 They have 2 world class wicketkeeper batsmen in Dhoni and Karthik, most team struugles 2 find one, but India is blessed with 2!! Both of whome are good enough 2 play as just a batsmen!!!

3 They have the best and most varied bowling combination of pace and spin.From the deadly rt hand bowling of Munaf and Sree 2 the awesome left arm swing bowling of Zaheer Khan, the king spin duo of Kumble and Harbhajan.Australia has awesome pace bowling too, but don't have good spinners.SA doesn't have a spinner atall, though has good pacers.

4 The best lower order big hitters in Pathan & Dhoni.

5 Vital experiance of playing world cup by class players like Dada, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Harbhajan,Dravid, Zaheer and Kumble etc.

6 They have the service of the best brain in the history of game in Greg Chappel, Chappel's input will help the team to emerge out as WC champs.

My 15 member World Champion 2007 Squad would be

Uthappa
Ganguly
Dravid
Tendulkar
Yuvraj
Karthk
Dhoni
Munaf
Khan
Kumble
Harbhajan

Ajit
Pathan
Sehwag
Sreesanth
For posterity...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The whole post lost any semblance of sense after that ( if it had any before).
Greg Chappell is an absolute JOKE of a coach...the Indians should do themselves a favour and hire someone who actually knows about coaching after they get bundled out of the world cup.

Oh and have the guts to sack overrated Tendulkar as well !!!!
So overrated that his last 21 ODIs (20 innings) have fetched him an average of 48.17?

Not to mention the fact that he's now back in his best spot in the middle?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
My 15 man squad for the WC:

Sehwag
Ganguly
Dravid
Tendulkar
Yuvraj
Karthik
Dhoni
Agarkar
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Munaf

Powar
Pathan
Uthappa
Sreesanth

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
why the hell isn't kaif in the 15 man squad? thats wack but at least ganguly is playing good in time for the wc

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
why the hell isn't kaif in the 15 man squad? thats wack but at least ganguly is playing good in time for the wc
Coz he isn't good enough.

The 15 member Squad is
Rahul Dravid (capt), Ajit Agarkar, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh, Dinesh Karthik, Zaheer Khan, Anil Kumble, Munaf Patel, Irfan Pathan, Virender Sehwag, Sreesanth, Sachin Tendulkar, Robin Uthappa, Yuvraj Singh .

Feel sorry for Powar, but i guess Pathan was a better bet.Sehwag is in terrible form but such players should still be picked into one's squad.

I would say its the best possible squad.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
kaif is good enough, the selectors never gave him enough of a chance. they gave sehwag so many chances and after he failed yesterday i thought he wasn't going to be pick. he shouldn't have been picked, he so many chances but never used them while the seletors never gave kaif enough time to show what he can do. that shouldn't have happend the former U/19 captain he should have been in instead of sehwag

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag better repay the faith.

I must admit, that's the exact squad I would have selected, but with not too much confidence. Kaif is stiff but he only has himself to blame IMO, but Powar is the real unlucky one.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
what its the opposite way i say kaif is unlucky, powar is just a fat ass and he only has himself to blame for that. while kaif is one of the best indian fielders and a good batsmen

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
kaif is good enough, the selectors never gave him enough of a chance. they gave sehwag so many chances and after he failed yesterday i thought he wasn't going to be pick. he shouldn't have been picked, he so many chances but never used them while the seletors never gave kaif enough time to show what he can do. that shouldn't have happend the former U/19 captain he should have been in instead of sehwag
Kaif is good, particularly i liked him when India is on run chase , however there was just one slot for a batsmen and b/w him and sehwag i would have gone for Sehwag.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually think Sehwag will come good. I'm nervous about Pathan though, he has been hopelessly out of form with ball, not sure if he can do justice with his selection.Still i think he was a better bet than Powar