• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Thread

pup11

International Coach
Pathan,Karthik,Sehwag and Sreesanth really don't have the odi performances to be selected in selected in the odi squad.

Anyways batting Ganguly down the order is a stupid suggestion, i still think instead of Sehwag Tendulkar should be opening the innings with Ganguly.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Against Bermuda my X1 would be

Sourav Ganguly
Robin Uthappa
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Dinesh Karthik
Harbhajan Singh
Sreesanth
Zaheer Khan
Munaf Patel

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They've gotta go hell-for-leather really.

Their only chance is to absolutely trash Bermuda as Sri Lanka did, get their RR up with the Lankans, hope the Lankans can trash Bangladesh, and hope Bangladesh don't manage to beat Bermuda too well.

Mind, I really would laugh if Bangladesh were to tie with Bermuda now!

Evermind

International Debutant
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/285874.html

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/285881.html

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/pakspin/

It seems as if the Pakistani press and fans are sick of the team's performance and demanding explanations and consequences - while the Indian press persists in making excuses and mollycoddles the team. I simply don't understand how a team that has performed so poorly so consistently is still protected by the media! There's absolutely no sense of regret or accountability. No apologies, no repercussions - and we probably won't see them even after they crash out at the group stage, as they undoubtedly will.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The thing with India, is that they are capable of going 400+ against Bermuda, but they very rarely seem to reach their full potential.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Big hitting and wicket taking needed to maximize RR

Against Bermuda my X1 would be

Sourav Ganguly
Robin Uthappa
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Dinesh Karthik
Harbhajan Singh
Sreesanth
Zaheer Khan
Munaf Patel
Uthappa (get as many as quickly)
Ganguly (anchor )
Tendulkar (keep momentum or anchor as needed)
Dhoni (promoted up for rapid scoring)
Yuvraj
Dravid (lower anchor if needed)
Pathan (not for his bowling, may be bigger scorer than kartik or Sehwag)
Agarkar (weakest selection , perhaps even Bhajji if Pathan's bowling was better)
Kumble (need wickets, better chance than Bhajji I hope)
Zaheer
Munaf

Top order needs to use overs 15-40 to score, so Dravid at #3 is not best for Bermuda game. Bowling needs to take wickets. India more or less have to top 400 tomorrow.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
still think 4 openers is a waste and batting Yuvi lower than 4 is a bigger waste.
I don't know why you think that....he's batted at 5 and 6 for the bulk of his career and has a pretty good record at those positions, and since 2005, has averaged 56 at 5.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd personally drop AA for Irfan or Sree, and think about Uthappa for Karthik. Just thoughts going through my head whilst almost falling asleep on the tram home from uni.

Then we'd have:

Ganguly
Sehwag (He's going to play, so nothing can be done about it really)
Tendulkar
Yuvraj
Dravid
Dhoni
Karthik
Pathan
Kumble
Zaheer
Munaf

Just some thoughts. I guess Uthappa was scoring well against SL back in India so maybe a bit harsh to drop him, but with all the stroke makers, a Karthik down the order to steady in case of some early wickets isn't such a bad thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uthappa >>> Karthik, really, I can't get away from that personally.

Karthik just doesn't seem to be a particularly good batsman in the shorter game.

I guess I still haven't managed to convince you that Tendulkar at three is a recipe for disaster?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know why you think that....he's batted at 5 and 6 for the bulk of his career and has a pretty good record at those positions, and since 2005, has averaged 56 at 5.
He is a good enough player to do well in those positions but the team can utilize him to the max only if he plays at 4, IMHO. That was my point there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, but as I said to you before, Tendulkar's much more than a mere opener.
He is a good enough player to adapt himself to any situation, but again, the team will only benefit if he gets more overs to play. Ideally, I would go with Jono's line up. But if we pick Sreesanth, might be useful to have the insurance of Pathan in the side too. I am sure he can keep the run rate down a bit with the keeper standing up during the non powerplay overs.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The youg Mr Uthappa has done no more against the Sri Lankans in the recent series than Sehwag, both had one reasonable innings. Only aganst thw WI has he had better luck.

Wont be radical to open with Kathik & Ganguly. Ganguly's being a great anchor at the top but his recent run has been too remarkable so far, and just by the law of averages the next one may not be. Then Sachin or Viru at #3 (latter if things have gone well and openers have played out the movement in the ball) . Dravid should be the anchor at the middle order and Yuraj and Dhoni to just shoot at will.

The Irfan vs Sree vs Agarkar is not a good choice, with Pathan's batting being the only differentiator . I take it back, can hope for an occasional non-leaky display from Sree.

apuraja

Cricket Spectator
i say slinga malinga is going to embarrass the mighty indian batting line up .. no matter who bats where ... :ph34r:

so who is best equipped to handle this bugger?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...

Well it could be Ganguly...
Or Dravid...
Or Tendulkar...
Or Yuvraj Singh...
Or Dhoni...
Or it could even be Uthappa, Sehwag or Pathan.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Malinga was none too impressive during the recent SL-India series, going for
2-75 in 10 and 0-54 in 9 overs. Both Zaheer and Munaf, part of the Indian bowling for
which there is so much disdain, did quite Ok by comparison. Murali is the variable that was missing in that series.