• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Campbell back for Zim!

krkode

State Captain
I found this on cricinfo.

True that they absolutely need his class in the batting...good decision :)

Zimbabwe call up Campbell, Matsikenyeri
Reuters - 10 March 2003

Batsmen Alistair Campbell and Stuart Matsikenyeri were drafted into the Zimbabwe World Cup squad on Monday after being given the go-ahead by the International Cricket Council.

Campbell, a shock omission from the original 15-man squad and who has not picked up a bat for six weeks, replaced Mark Vermeulen, who suffered a hairline fracture above his left eye after being hit by team mate Travis Friend in the nets on Friday.

Campbell was already in South Africa as a television commentator. "I suppose I'm going from behind the mike across the boundary," he said on Sunday.

Matsikenyeri replaced leg spinner Brian Murphy, who tore a calf muscle while warming up during the interval in Saturday's six-wicket defeat against New Zealand.

Zimbabwe, bottom in the Super Six table, play Kenya in Bloemfontein on Wednesday. They need to beat the Kenyans and then beat Sri Lanka in East London on Saturday to have a chance of reaching the semi-finals.

The 30-year-old Campbell averages 30.63 in 187 one-day internationals and has also played 60 Tests.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
They dropped him due to lack of form yet they bring him back after not picking up a bat for 6 weeks...not surprising that he is pretty confused.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
They dropped him due to lack of form yet they bring him back after not picking up a bat for 6 weeks...not surprising that he is pretty confused.
I guess the Zimbabweans are pretty desperate now...and going for a last ditch attempt to make a fight of it in the SS.