• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stats & Facts

Rich2001

International Captain
With today being a rest day in the World Cup, Cricinfo have gathered a few stats / facts about the World Cup so far.

With the cricket World Cup taking a time out from matches on Monday, the tournament's bowlers had a welcome chance to lick their wounds.

The batsmen have certainly held the upper hand in the first 14 matches, with seven meaty centuries.

The bowlers, in response, have managed a mere three five-wicket hauls, all against minor sides.

To put the batting into context, there were only 11 hundreds in the entire 1999 World Cup and there are still 38 games to go before the 2003 final.

Craig Wishart's 172 not out off 151 deliveries against Namibia in Harare is the highest score so far, the Zimbabwean finishing just 22 runs short of the one-day world record.

But for sheer quality under pressure, the performances of Andrew Symonds (143 not out), Stephen Fleming (134 not out), Brian Lara (116) and Sanath Jayasuriya (120) stand out.

Significantly, Jayasuriya's is the only century yet posted by an Asian batsman at the tournament.

The likes of Sachin Tendulkar -- despite 33 one-day tons to his name -- and Rahul Dravid of India, and Pakistan's Inzamam-ul-Haq and Yousuf Youhana appear have failed to spark so far.

So have many of the top bowlers, despite South Africa's pitches offering them pace and bounce.

Leg spinner Shane Warne, of course, had no choice, returning to Australia after failing a drugs test for diuretics.

Canada's Austin Codrington took the first five-for against Bangladesh before Sri Lankan left-arm seamer Chaminda Vaas, a man with a taste for records, took an unprecedented hat-trick with the first three balls of the match on his way to six for 25, also against Bangladesh.

Wasim Akram, on the brink of 500 one-day wickets, followed that up with five for 28 against Namibia in Kimberley on Sunday.

Namibia and Bangladesh, though, are not exactly giants of the game.

Few bowlers have done major damage to what might be termed a front-line batting line-up.

Veteran South Africa fast bowler Allan Donald is struggling, with just one wicket for 106 runs, while Pakistan skipper Waqar Younis, in his one spell, managed two against Australia but saw his 8.3 overs clattered for 50.

As so often, the only exceptions carry Australian passports.

Jason Gillespie's three for 13 off 10 overs against India was a truly breathtaking performance, complimented by Brett Lee's awesome three for 36 in the same game and the always miserly contributions of the experienced Glenn McGrath.

Gillespie has four wickets at an average of 10.25. Bowling against Pakistan and India, he gave away just 2.27 runs an over and no batsman at the 2003 World Cup has so far come anywhere near mastering the world champions' three-pronged pace attack.

krkode

State Captain
"3 pronged pace attack"

I like that :P I guess this is the only team that I can remember, since the West Indies of the 70s and 80s that has had 3 quality, in form fast bowlers...Most teams have had 2 like Donald-Pollock, Wasim-Waqar, Ambrose-Walsh, Gough-Caddick, etc...but THREE is a rarity :wow:

On a note of the hundreds - Wishart, Fleming, Styris, Symonds, have all registered their highest ODI scores. :O Gibbs also, i *think*..

there were only 11 hundreds in the entire 1999 World Cup
Five of those were Indian :D If I remember right there were also 2 high 90s scores by Ganguly and Kallis in the same match :P

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
New Zealands Shane Bond has only got 1 wicket in this world cup, and does not show well considering the destruction he created in the VB series between New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Gibbs' was not his highest score. He has made 153 before. I thought he was gonna beat it at one stage though.