• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 6 match team previews and match reports

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Yorkshire Confident Ahead Of Grudge Match II
Yorks captain and star batsman Michael Dawn is excited about the round 6 one dayer when they meet Mashonaland for the second time.
"We're definitely looking forward to this match. We played them in the first round and managed to hold them off for a win. Since then we've lost three and won one, while they've been undefeated since that (first) match" he said.
"Our battings be strong but our bowling, I have to admit, has been a little ineffective. Hopefully we can overcome any problems this weekend" he said, before commenting on Mashonaland's team - "They're a hungry team and they're in hot form. We're standing tall but at the moment they're standing taller, so it's going to be a tough psychological battle as well."

All players have been retained with a big question mark of spinning all-rounder Anup Dave. So far he's picked up just 2 wickets @ 128.5 and 39 runs @ 19.50.
At the moment, no-one in the 2nd XI - apart from rookies - have been in good nick so who will get promoted to the first team if Dave fails again is anyones guess.

Yorks XI to play Mashonaland (in batting order): W Beasley, M Salman (wk), M Dawn (c), F Yashpal, K Agnew, R Kripal Singh, W Robertson, A Dave, W Cornwall, D Gough, D Kaneria.

NZTailender

"Mashonaland still iffy against spin" - Beasley
Yorks batsman and part-time spin bowler, W Beasley, has fired off the first salvo in the war of words before the grudge match between Yorkshire and Mashonaland.
"We showed last time that they can't play spin effectively. I think thi will be shown again when they play us at home" he spouted.
"Although they have one or two bats who can play spin to some degree, the rest of them are rabbits and will be thoroughly humiliated this weekend" he grinned.
We will have to wait until Friday to see if Beasley will be eating some humble pie.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Don't listen to Yorkshire"-- Oulton

Mashonaland rookie and top order batsman, Quentin Oulton, has hit back at statements made by Yorkshire, from both players and manager, about the upcoming game against Mashonaland.

Oulton seemed to take particular offence from Yorkshire batsman Beasley's words that Mashonaland are "still iffy against spin."

"The idea of the Mashonlanad batsmen being particularly vulnerable to spin is completely untrue. We've been very successful as a team against spin attacks, while [Mash spinners] Saqlain Mushtaq and Ben Joshi provide us with plenty of practice in the nets."

Oulton then launched a rather personal attack upon the Yorkshire manager, Greg Thomas.

"You shouldn't listen to anything Thomas says. This kind of pre-game sledging isn't a new tactic from Thomas, but I think his record this season speaks for itself, especially in comparison with ours. We've only lost one game this season, while Yorkshire has lost over half of theirs. And plus, Thomas is ugly."

Mashonaland have named an unchanged side going into their clash against Yorkshire, with spinner Saqlain Mushtaq hoping to lead his team to their fifth consecutive victory.

NZTailender

'Oulton is overrated like Diet Coke' - Beasley
Star batsman W Beasley has again spoken out against opponent Mashonaland.
"They're falling over themselves to deny that they have a problem against spin. What he said about their spinners (Mushtaq and Joshi) is true. They give plenty of practice to their batsman...we were watching them practice earlier and fell about laughing at the comical way they were playing the deliveries. I mean, it's basic stuff guys - you're not even school grade standard!" he laughed.
He then went on to defend his manager.
"Look, the only reason why Thomas is ugly is because he got burns saving 346 kids from the orphanage that caught fire in Mashonaland the last time we were there. If you ask me, Mashonaland smell pretty rotten. More rotten than their corrupt cricket board."

cricketboy29

International Regular
Ahead of the Matchday 3 in the CW Bar Cup. Queensland manager Gaurav Nayak was quick to throw his support behind Western Province, and said that he believed that W.P had the strength of character to beat Guyana, and thus hopefully NRR cooperating allow Queensland entry into the next round.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Damien Wright returns to the fold

Tasmanian fan's favourite Damien Wright has been recalled to the first XI which will take on Western Australia at the WACA.

"We need an extra pace bowler at the WACA, and we decided Wright was the best option. He's got experience, and can contribute well with the bat if needed." Alex Crampton said at the press conference

Crampton was mystified by Wright's popularity with the fans however saying, "I know he was born in Tasmania and all, but let's face it, he's a pretty mediocre cricketer and a bit of a ****."

Wirght, as one might expect was delighted to play for his native side. "I'm delighted to play for my native side, I've been languishing in the seconds mostly, so it'll be good to face some higher class opposition."

The man who made way for Wright, Jimmy Sharma, retains his place for the cup match against South Australia.

NZTailender

Yorkshire overpower Mashonaland - again
Before a ball had been bowled, the war of words between the two arch rivals was under way. Namely Beasley and Oulton, who would both go on to reach milestones, but only one team could win.
Yorks batted first and batted solidly to reach 291. Beasley, Agnew and Cornwall all posted half centuries as Mushtaq and Joshi were the main wicket takers for Mashonaland.
Given the successful run chases of late, there was always a good chance that Mashonaland would chase it down.
Fortunately, due to their ineptness against spin, Mashonaland were all out well short of the target. Beasley claimed man of the match honours and Yorkshire claimed bragging rights over their Zimbabwean rivals.

Yorkshire 8-291
W Beasley 72, W Cornwall 65*, K Agnew 54
S Mushtaq 3-37, B Joshi 2-46

Mashonaland 259 all out
Q Oulton 100, M Zaman 58*
D Kaneria 3-62, W Robertson 2-42

Yorkshire won by 32 runs
MOTM: W Beasley

Yorkshire MVP points
3. W Beasley
2. W Cornwall
1. D Kaneria

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
SA bowling exploited
Heavy losses sees goodbye to OD title hopes

After two heavy losses on the weekend, with the 322 runs conceded against Tasmania as a lowlight, South Australia coach Håkon Mørk admitted that his team "are playing somewhat like England at the moment, aren't we?" With Rick Stratton and Harold Froggett serving up widish and shortish medium pace, it was hard to disagree with Mørk's assessment. The batting does appear to be somewhat up to scratch, what with Sanjay Borde hitting a cup century against Tasmania, but something needs to be done in the bowling department if Mørk's team is to recover.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Tasmania into cup quarters

A 30 run triumph over South Australia took Tasmania into the quarter finals of the CW Bar cup.

Bowling first, South Australia drew first blood, Bulman was dismissed first ball, but Tasmania managed to reach 322 from their 50 overs. On the day he announced his retirement, Saleem Elahi struck a typically classy 88, and there were also brisk half centuries from Vikram Chandrasekh and Matthew Sinclair. The main man though, was Suresh Raina. The Indian youngster struck a brilliant century, full of cuts and pulls, and including eight fours and three sixes. For South Australia, Stratton and Froggett took two wickets apiece, but were the most expensive of the five bowlers used.

With a strong batting line-up, the total was within South Australia's reach, but they too suffered an early setback, Singh was run out without scoring. After Rangnekar was also gone for 20, Allen and Borde put together and good partnership, of 145. After this partership ended, two more quick wickets followed, putting an end to their hopes, despite some effective late hitting from Stratton.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Hampshire 2nd XI Win Against Warrickshire

An awesome result by the Hampshire 2nd XI has given new manager Eyes_Only something to smile about.

Hampshire won the toss and elected to bat with opener Qambrani making a handy 53 before being bowler by Kruger. All batsmen, with the excepttion of Highsmith, made it into double figures with L Bassue making a mighty 113 of 245 balls.

The bowlers followed up the batsmen's excellent work, restricting Warrickshire to all out for 201.Thompson proved to be the destroyer, taking an amazing 7/42 off 20.2 overs and was well supported by Bond and Exley with 3 wickets each.

After forcing Warrickshire to follow-on, Hampshire left them reeling and had them all out for 180 after 62.1 overs. Thompson and Sudesh were the destroyers this time taking 4 wickets each and they were well supported by Bond with 2 wickets and Exley with 3.

New manager Eyes_Only was amazed by the massive win in her first game at the helm. "Hopefully this will be the start of something big for the team. Realistically, results like this will not happen in every match, but I'll be happy if the boys maintain consistency and string together a few wins to remain competitive in the competition." She said after training today.

cricketboy29

International Regular
The Juggernaut rolls on...

The Bulls charged to another win and the top of the table after beating Leicestershire by 6 Wickets. Queensland lost the toss, and were made to field. However, with their absolutely raring-to-go bolwing attack, it wasn't a great setback.

As per usual, Ali and Tully opened the bowling. Ali dashed in, and got his first wicket with the second ball he bowled. Queensland manager Nayak was seen dancing a jig, while Assistant Manager Smith was spotted giving unrecgonised hand signals in the direction of the Leicestererian(sp?) departing batsmen. Ali and Tully formed a great pair, with Tully blocking his end up, Ali came in hard and aggressive, and soon had picked up another wicket.

With that, the ball was tossed to Mooney, Wascoroni and Hopes in turn who picked up wickets at regular intervals, never allowing the leicester batsamen to settle. The final score ended with leicestershire finishing on 223 all out. Hopes:3-27, Wascoroni 2-33 and Ali: the main destroyers with Mooney and part-timer Tennison picking up a wicket each. Piggott top-scoring with 43.

When it was their turn to bat, the Queensland batsman openly wanted to end the game quickly, and fell prey trying to attack too much too fast. However, L Owen guided them home with a well made 84(82). Other contributions from Bundela 49(40) and Niazi 34(31) got Queensland to the target in 39 overs.

Nayak and Smith both expectedly jubilant from anothr OD win, with Nayak giving his younger(IMO) partner the limelight, in which he announced in a typical aussie drawl 'Queensland hitting their OD straps. Looking ominous for the competition here'.