• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averages

Rich2001

International Captain
Just wondering what your opinions are on averages are?

The game VC4 is a statistical game that uses the players averages to work out the results, however looking back at the season alot of top players (avg wise) have failed big time and many lesser players (avg wise) have been super.....

Using Kent as a example (as I know how the players went)

M.Saggers - OD S/R - 29

First season was awful in his terms only had one good game that I can remember (Worcs 5/18), yet players with simalar S/R's (B.Lee - 25 & S.MacGill - 25) had super seasons (33 wickets)

Then in the Kent team I had many unexpected stars such as D.Masters S/R - 76 who only got into the season through injuries but never left the team after he ended up with a good avg and took quite a lot of wickets @ a very econicical rate.

Other stars inculde : -

- T.Roberts (Lancs) avg 20 or so yet ened the season with an avg of about 40

- M.Harrity (SA) S/R of 33 yet out performed everyone in Div 2 incuding the likes of Warne/Akram/Saggers/Gilliespie/D.Vettori an co

- P.Trego (Somerset) S/R - 37 had the 6th best avg in the whole div only betten by
G.Aldridge/G.Hick/M.Harrity/D.Cosker/W.Akram

Plus loads of others.......

It's intresting that the batting hasn't been effective as much as the bowlers, alot more bowlers with lesser avg have performed better whereas batting wise it has gone pretty much as expected eg Lehmann/Bevan/Flower/Lara/Maher/Dravid/

So does a good avg mean anything? or if you pick a slightly lesser player on paper will they play better???

Graham

3rd Umpire
In my opinion, you can't judge a player by his stats on the team pages. You have to judge a player through his performances. VCM4 adjusts players abilities and next season's performances are likely to be reflected by last season's averages rather than the current team page player stats. For this reason the availability of G.Blewett doesn't really interest me. In season one he averaged 37 FC and 31 OD. Time will tell if my theory is horribly wrong.:rolleyes:

Rich2001

International Captain
Oh yeah I understand that, but what i was kinda getting at is I have a guy with a S/R of 29 and the other 76, Iam always going to pick the 29.......

However the guy with a S/R of 76 has out performed him all season and for a game that runs on players averages seems alittle out???

Cloete

International Captain
yes. very good point rich. it is a little weird how a statistical game favours the worse players!!!!!!!:O:O

And Graham I hope ur theory is very very very wrong, for my,blewy's and somerset's sake. ;) ;) ;8D8D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The game takes alot of things into consideration, and i would say only a minority of lesser standard players have stood tall, i think teams with Lesser BIG name players have had these players step up, Teams like NSW, QLD, Lancs, Tamil and SA, have head their stars shine...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
To be honest, I'm not really that interested in stats. As long as my team is doing ok, then that's fine by me!!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
If i have a dude with a battign avg of 10 scoring 100 each game , heck i dont care :P if hes going good well good on him , he gets a $50 extra pocket money to keep....

Like as said as long as my team is performing well on the whole it doesnt matter