Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I've had the suspicion for a while now that Patel is/ will turn out a better spinner than Vettori if given the chance.
    Different kinds of bowler though, offering different things at any time. Vettori is one of the most unique spinners in the world and I doubt we will ever drop him while he is fit to play. Patel I think is a fantastic prospect for NZ cricket, his ability to make top order batsman look like idiots is a fantastic one.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Full credit to Sri Lanka, they won the match and played better cricket. However, some of our team selections need to come under serious scrutiny. Chris Martin and Mark Gillespie aren't good enough, they're cannon-fodder against batsman who can hit through the line. Jeetan Patel should be in the side, as he is the only bowler (other than Bond) who can bowl at the death of an innings. I would like to see Bradley Scott and Nathan McCullum get a game also, both bowlers who can prove difficult to get away and can tonk it a bit. Pretty happy with our batting lineup, although switching Fulton and Taylor around is a possible option.

I guess it just goes to show how much our team relies on a couple of players, Bond and Styris in particular IMO. Styris wasn't able to post many runs on the board and Bond got absolutely hammered by Jayasuriya, when our two most consistent performers aren't able to produce the goods it weakens our team significantly. Good knocks by Fulton, Taylor and Oram though while Vettori bowled well, becoming a bit of a pattern against Sri Lanka.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I guess it just goes to show how much our team relies on a couple of players, Bond and Styris in particular IMO. Styris wasn't able to post many runs on the board and Bond got absolutely hammered by Jayasuriya, when our two most consistent performers aren't able to produce the goods it weakens our team significantly. .

There is no excuse for other batsmen not to perform at least semi-consistently. Taylor, Fulton, Oram, McMillan, etc.

As for the bowlers, well, that is our weak point, apart from Bond and Vettori. It would be madness not to bring Patel in for the next round of matches. Bond and Patel to bowl at the death.

Over recent times, Fultons been Mr consistent second to only Styris IMO.

Taylor was... for a while. But Oram and McMillan have always had problems with staying in good nick.

Since the CH he's averaged 46.78 could be a real turning point in his career. I think he's looked great lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    There is no excuse for other batsmen not to perform at least semi-consistently. Taylor, Fulton, Oram, McMillan, etc.
    Of course, I'm just saying that Styris is definitely our rock in the middle order. McMillan is inconsistent, Oram has been largely rubbish while Taylor is still very inexperienced. Fulton is really only the other solid option in our batting lineup IMO.

Since the CH he's averaged 46.78 could be a real turning point in his career. I think he's looked great lately.
    I agree completely.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    NZ prove that Scaly was right they were just a bunch a medicores

Hmm reckon it is time to give Hasantha a game, Weijkoon has been pretty useless. Surprised that Dilhara has been decent in this form. Also the tactics Jayawardene has used with bowling has been right on the money. Would have bowled Dilshan when Weijkoon was getting smashed.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Vincent's worth a mention too, in the past year he's averaged 39.07, I'm expecting a big knock from him soon.

Our batting really only holds Vincent, Fulton, Taylor (maybe...), and Styris.

The likes of McCullum (up the order at least), Oram and McMillan can hardly be relied on anymore than Afridi for their role in the game. Styris's lbw decision was the turning point in last nights match for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Sad but true, we're as dire as England.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    This is the match I was thinking of. I was obviously wrong though.
    RIP Craigos

Vincent's worth a mention too, in the past year he's averaged 39.07, I'm expecting a big knock from him soon.
    Scoring the majority of his runs either against minnows or on roads.

Our batting really only holds Vincent, Fulton, Taylor (maybe...), and Styris.
    Our batting has Styris, and Fulton at a pinch. Taylor is still quite young, although very talented while Vincent is pretty much a flat track bully.

Styris's lbw decision was the turning point in last nights match for me.
    Agree with this, he played a pretty silly shot and then the tide start to turn.

I thought to myself, how could I display my pleasure that Patel may be included in the side. I came up with the ever useful Smilies.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post

Hmm reckon it is time to give Hasantha a game, Weijkoon has been pretty useless. Surprised that Dilhara has been decent in this form. Also the tactics Jayawardene has used with bowling has been right on the money. Would have bowled Dilshan when Weijkoon was getting smashed.
    From what I've seen and read of Weijkoon, this is probably the worst format to play him, so I have no idea why he's in this team yet not in the test or ODI setups. I think he'd be worth a go batting #7 in the ODI team if Mubarak continues to be Mubarak and Maharoof continues to disappoint with the bat but his bowling is pretty much cannon fodder in this stuff, unless he got a pitch like the one served up for Australia v Zimbabwe.
    ~ Cribbage

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread Information