• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your complete player (Male edition)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I did consider Dev, but he wasn't an ATG in any of the primary categories.
He's the closest one to the good at everything that you asked for. Very good bowler, good counterattacking lower order bat, by all accounts an excellent fielder. The captaincy is actually the most dubious one as he wasnt some master tactician, but hey still inspired India to an upset WC.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty much obliged to give Keith Miller a mention here. Not quite absolute all-time level at anything but a genuinely world-class fast bowler, top-six Test bat, brilliant fielder and, according to those who played under him at state level, arguably the best captain Australia never had.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He's the closest one to the good at everything that you asked for. Very good bowler, good counterattacking lower order bat, by all accounts an excellent fielder. The captaincy is actually the most dubious one as he wasnt some master tactician, but hey still inspired India to an upset WC.
He was somewhat like a jack of all trades master at none. As you pointed out a good bowler, effective lower order batsman, good fielder, though emphasis for this comparison was in the slips which carries more value in tests, and unsure about the captaincy. He just doesn't stand out in any area.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty much obliged to give Keith Miller a mention here. Not quite absolute all-time level at anything but a genuinely world-class fast bowler, top-six Test bat, brilliant fielder and, according to those who played under him at state level, arguably the best captain Australia never had.
Keith was much closer, but he never captained Australia, and I have heard that expression before, re captaincy. As far as 3 way players go though, he was among the very best. Top order batsman, opening bowler, top flight slip fielder.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil fielded in the slips a LOT and took some blinders even in my time of watching cricket since 1990 or so.
I genuinely don't recall him there, but take you at your word. Doesn't change the fact though that he wasn't great at any of the primary disciplines

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I genuinely don't recall him there, but take you at your word. Doesn't change the fact though that he wasn't great at any of the primary disciplines
Kapil Dev was James Anderson quality in bowling. Not ATG but close.
World Record Holder of most wickets in both formats.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kapil Dev was James Anderson quality in bowling. Not ATG but close.
World Record Holder of most wickets in both formats.
Close ATG?No way,I can say 25 fast bowler better than dev and 30 bowler better than dev,imran will be far far better choice than dev,Keith as well or hadlee as well.It’s like saying broad is a close ATG,ok bowler but close ATG ,no way.Not a fan of Anderson but Anderson is a better bowler than dev,200 more wickets at difference of average of more than 3 is enough to prove it.Anderson from 2010s to till now has had similar number of wickets of dev at an average of 24 but even without it Anderson’s overall career stats as a bowler is still superior.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Close ATG?No way,I can say 20 fast bowler better than dev and 30 bowler better than dev,imran will be far far better choice than dev,Keith as well or hadlee as well.It’s like saying broad is a close ATG,ok bowler but close ATG ,no way.Not a fan of Anderson but Anderson is a better bowler than dev,200 more wickets at difference of average of more than 3 is enough to prove it.Anderson from 2010s to till now has had similar number of wickets of dev at an average of 24 but even without it Anderson’s overall career stats as a bowler is superior.
If you are going by Stats, Chris Cairns is a better cricketer than Kapil Dev.. In both formats. Lol.
Kapil was an ATVG with ball, same league of Anderson.. Only that Anderson is lucky to get helpful home conditions.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you are going by Stats, Chris Cairns is a better cricketer than Kapil Dev.. In both formats. Lol.
Kapil was an ATVG with ball, same league of Anderson.. Only that Anderson is lucky to get helpful home conditions.
Is it time to bring the fact dev averages 39 with the ball in England in 22 innings?
I have had this conditions discussed about someone in openers thread and no one seemed to agree and better not say condition difference for Anderson and dev cause dev averages 39 with the ball in England in 22 innings.

Bowlers superior than dev-
Barnes
O rilley
Grimmett
Warne
Murali
Verity
Laker
Marshall
McGrath
Ambrose
Steyn
Walsh
Hadlee
Pollock
Wasim
Waqar
Larwood
Lillee
Donald
Willis
Bedser
Trueman
Lindwall
Johnston
Garner
Anderson
Statham
Holding
Tate
Cummins
Hazlewood
Roberts
Keith
Imran

I still have forgot some names and haven’t mentioned indian bowlers as well,how can someone not even a top 35 ,may be hardly a top 40-45 be close to ATG bowler?

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Dev isn't a real candidate as the greatest four way player.

As I had said, Sobers, Hammond, Simpson, Imran were probably the only real candidates and likely in that order.

Benaud also gets a mention here, but hard to beat Sobers. Already acknowledged as the greatest all-rounder, plus atg catcher in the slips and enterprising captain.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Is it time to bring the fact dev averages 39 with the ball in England in 22 innings?
I have had this conditions discussed about someone in openers thread and no one seemed to agree and better not say condition difference for Anderson and dev cause dev averages 39 with the ball in England in 22 innings.

Bowlers superior than dev-
Barnes
O rilley
Grimmett
Warne
Murali
Verity
Laker
Marshall
McGrath
Ambrose
Steyn
Walsh
Hadlee
Pollock
Wasim
Waqar
Larwood
Lillee
Donald
Willis
Bedser
Trueman
Lindwall
Johnston
Garner
Anderson
Statham
Holding
Tate
Cummins
Hazlewood
Roberts
Keith
Imran

I still have forgot some names and I haven’t mentioned Indian bowlers as well,how can someone not even a top 35 ,may be hardly a top 40-45 be close to ATG bowler?
Because most of these names fall into ATG category.
And there isn't a single indian bowler who can be rated above Kapil without long arguments.

England is not home condition for Kapil.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yeah, Dev isn't a real candidate as the greatest four way player.

As I had said, Sobers, Hammond, Simpson, Imran were probably the only real candidates and likely in that order.

Benaud also gets a mention here, but hard to beat Sobers. Already acknowledged as the greatest all-rounder, plus atg catcher in the slips and enterprising captain.
Sobers - if you dont include captaincy
Imran - if you dont include fielding

Hammond and Simpson aren't even proper allrounders.

Kapil is the best option available.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Because most of these names fall into ATG category.
And there isn't a single indian bowler who can be rated above Kapil without long arguments.

England is not home condition for Kapil.
I don't even understand what your argument is here.
Just because he's the best Indian bowler, doesn't make him great.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sobers - if you dont include captaincy
Imran - if you dont include fielding

Hammond and Simpson aren't even proper allrounders.

Kapil is the best option available.
On what basis would you exclude Sobers captaincy and how was Kapil's captaincy objectively better than Sir Garry's?

And how are Hammond and Simpson not all rounders?
We have bowling all-rounders, primary bowlers who can contribute with the bat. Batting all-rounders who are genuine top 6 batsmen who can contribute with the ball.
I would prefer Hammond or Simpson in any team over Kapil.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I don't even understand what your argument is here.
Just because he's the best Indian bowler, doesn't make him great.
I didn't say he was alltime great, I said he is ATVG ( and a great of his times), then what is the point of posting ATG names?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
On what basis would you exclude Sobers captaincy and how was Kapil's captaincy objectively better than Sir Garry's?

We have bowling all-rounders, primary bowlers who can contribute with the bat. Batting all-rounders who are genuine top 6 batsmen who can contribute with the ball.
Kapil is a WC winning captain, which changed the perception about the team. And a milestone in the sports history of the country.

Simpson averaged 40+ with ball iirc.. Which is equivalent of 20 with bat.
Hammond averaged less than a wicket per match.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain

You’re right sobers beats Hammond mainly as a bowler tbh,Hammond might be a bit better fielder even though sobers was one of the best ever fielder as well,sobers will be a bit ahead as a batsman because of the twos difference against facing fast bowler ,Hammond was a better player of spin though but the difference is very less.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil is a WC winning captain, which changed the perception about the team. And a milestone in the sports history of the country.

Simpson averaged 40+ with ball iirc.. Which is equivalent of 20 with bat.
Hammond averaged less than a wicket per match.
Generally were speaking of Tests, and additionally that's why I ask what's the criteria as being seen as a good captain. Lloyd won two, and there are many that doesn't consider him to be a great captain.