• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test Cricketers of All Time

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From AMZ's comment.
Henry Wood said:
Men like Lohmann are like cats, and in addition to taking what comes straight to them manage somehow or other to bring off the most astounding catches. Lohmann had a way of throwing himself at the ball, and seemed to be able to stretch almost any distance. He would sometimes throw himself right off his feet and land on his knees, and make a catch which no other man would have thought of. I have sometimes wondered whether his illness is not partly caused by the great strain which he must often have put upon himself at slip.
I didn't know tuberculosis could be caused by slip fielding.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I call BS on all that revisionist stuff. No one can rationally convince me that men were doing things in the late 1800s that can't be emulated now. These reports make it sound like Lohmann was some sort of incredible contortionist and glue hands that would catch anything in the cordon and stay upright to tell the tale.

the big bambino

International Captain
calm down guys. Why such antagonism to past eras is such a thing is puzzling. Its weird. They were just saying he was an exceptional fielder.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The comparison with a cat would make sense if he was taking diving catches. Diving very recently became a cricketing skill, relatively speaking.

Daemon

calm down guys. Why such antagonism to past eras is such a thing is puzzling. Its weird. They were just saying he was an exceptional fielder.
Yeah I didn’t see anything too over the top there.

He was defs diving before others, they seem fascinated that he had both feet off the ground when taking a catch.

the big bambino

International Captain
Hopefully I'm not misremembering, but I vaguely recall it being something of a virtue to hold your position when taking catches back then. Sprawling along the ground and grubbing your trousers wasn't approved of. Or something like it.

trundler

Huh, may have been a custom in the same vein as leg side play was reportedly thought to be unfair. Doubt many professionals gave a crap about it though.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Huh, may have been a custom in the same vein as leg side play was reportedly thought to be unfair. Doubt many professionals gave a crap about it though.
I'm not entirely convinced how true this was. Some of the best batsmen pre Grace were famed for their leg hitting. For instance, here is a quote about George Parr, captain of the All England XI and arguably the best batsman of the 1850s, taken from the book Cricket by A.G. Steel, published in 1888:

A.G. Steel said:
George Parr's leg hit, for which he was unrivalled, was the sweep to long-leg off a shortish ball that many modern players would lie back to and play off their legs. George Parr would extend his left leg straight forward, and sweeping round with a horizontal bat, send the ball very hard, and frequently along the ground. This hit has really almost totally disappeared in these days.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
The comparison with a cat would make sense if he was taking diving catches. Diving very recently became a cricketing skill, relatively speaking.
Diving probably is a more widely recognised skill these days as all fielders are expected to be capable of it, but odd exceptional players with the ability to take diving catches have always existed throughout the last 150 years; from Lohmann in the 1880s to Jessop and Gregory in the 1890s and 1900s, to Hammond and Constantine in the 1930s, to Simpson and Bland in the 1960s, to Solkar and Randall in the 1970s, to Harper in the 1980s, to M Waugh and Rhodes in the 1990s.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
I call BS on all that revisionist stuff. No one can rationally convince me that men were doing things in the late 1800s that can't be emulated now. These reports make it sound like Lohmann was some sort of incredible contortionist and glue hands that would catch anything in the cordon and stay upright to tell the tale.
Hardly revisionist when the quotes I provided were written by people who actually saw him play.