• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

will lockie ferguson be lost to test cricket?

Flem274*

123/5
if the year is 2002, or any year other than now tbh, he has 10-15 tests under his belt.

the guy is incredible in odis despite always bowling in the least glorious times as a third seamer and death bowler. his fc record is also top tier despite playing home games on state highway 1, and for all it's flaws bad fast bowling is put to the sword in the shield here or is innocuous (even the worst modern kiwi openers are hoes for width). compare ferguson's 161 wickets @ 24 to adam milne's 88 wickets @ 32, and milne is not a poor fast bowler.

ferguson swings the kookaburra domestically, and imo is proving he swings it at test level away from most talented kiwi since bond. sadly, he's probably 5th in line for test cricket now kyle jamieson exploited the indian love for extreme bounce. he might never play another test match in his prime, which is right now.

i am well aware this thread is open for retribution following my recent activity, so i will pre-emptively say ferguson is leagues ahead of jimmy anderson and the last good english bowlers were tim bresnan, chris tremlett and the glorious ryan sidebottom. i loved that guy tbh.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry really was persisted with for longer than he should have been, that's really what cost Ferguson some opportunities

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably. I didn't think that debuting him on a 39 degree day at Perth was a sensible idea compared to, say, the second test against England.

Hopefully the presence of Jamieson at least means that Henry won't get any more chances to prove himself conclusively not test class, but I'm not holding my breath.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ryan Harris was ~30 when he made his test debut and he was one of the best bowlers of the millennium so far

Ferguson is still only 28. No reason to give up yet

Moss

International Vice-Captain
You've suggested/predicted that Wagner may have played his last given the uncertainty around upcoming 5 day fixtures for NZ. If that were the case, it might actually represent Ferguson's best chance of further opportunity, he'd be duelling it out with Jaimeson for the third seamer's slot and perhaps even stepping in if Southee/Boult are unavailable (unless the selectors are still keen on Matt Henry). Think Wagz may have other ideas though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno why NZ would even consider dropping their only bowler from last summer.

Flem274*

123/5
Dunno why NZ would even consider dropping their only bowler from last summer.
nah you misread the op, and before southee pulled finger against india i was very vocal for boult-ferguson-wagner.

since nz and aus will be the only countries playing tests any time soon and after reading your old troll thread on anderson i considered which nz bowlers would be favoured if nz played all their home games in aus, especially with lehmann as coach.

settled on lockie-jamieson-wagner with hit the deck and fast bowlers like bennett, milne, tickner, kuggs and sears closer to the side than they are now.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably. I didn't think that debuting him on a 39 degree day at Perth was a sensible idea compared to, say, the second test against England.

Hopefully the presence of Jamieson at least means that Henry won't get any more chances to prove himself conclusively not test class, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah the debut at Perth wasn't well timed. He should have played that Test at Hamilton, even if I presume he wouldn't have made much headway on what was a very flat deck.

I've watched Lockie a lot, was always interested in his progress after seeing him bowl a spell of rapid short stuff on an astro in one of his first senior club games. But I honestly don't remember seeing much of the outswing that Flem talks about. In fact I'd say his natural angle goes the other way.

I reckon he'll play 20 Tests, incidentally. Southee has not long left in him, injuries happen, he'll get a chance.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the debut at Perth wasn't well timed. He should have played that Test at Hamilton, even if I presume he wouldn't have made much headway on what was a very flat deck.

I've watched Lockie a lot, was always interested in his progress after seeing him bowl a spell of rapid short stuff on an astro in one of his first senior club games. But I honestly don't remember seeing much of the outswing that Flem talks about. In fact I'd say his natural angle goes the other way.

I reckon he'll play 20 Tests, incidentally. Southee has not long left in him, injuries happen, he'll get a chance.
it was bad phrasing - i mean he is the most talented since bond if he proves he swings it at test level.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
nah you misread the op, and before southee pulled finger against india i was very vocal for boult-ferguson-wagner.

since nz and aus will be the only countries playing tests any time soon and after reading your old troll thread on anderson i considered which nz bowlers would be favoured if nz played all their home games in aus, especially with lehmann as coach.

settled on lockie-jamieson-wagner with hit the deck and fast bowlers like bennett, milne, tickner, kuggs and sears closer to the side than they are now.
don't underestimate bcci's ability to produce COVID-clear certificates for their chosen eleven and no one else

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed that Henry was persisted with for too long, though it's worthwhile remembering that Lockie only really started producing consistent results in ODI's during the 2018/19 tour of the UAE, and given the dominance of Soultner on home soil it was always unlikely that he'd debut before last summer's tour of Aus.

Going forwards it's hard to comment on the likelihood that Lockie, Wagner or anyone else will play given we have no idea what the schedule will look like. But given that Wagner is 34 I tend to think that Lockie will get another shot before too long.