• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does the MCC have the right to change the Laws?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
According to Wikipedia, The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) is the sole organisation who can change the Laws.
Why the MCC, not the ICC, has such right? :unsure:

In Football, the IFAB (International Football Association Board) has the right to change rules. The IFAB consists of FIFA and 4 Home Associations (England, Scotland, Wales, "Northern Ireland"). FIFA has 4 votes and 4 Home Associations have 1 vote respectively. Rule change requires 6/8 majority.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Because they own the copyright from my understanding. It is their laws. They created them so they own them.

When World Series Cricket happened I recall Benaud being brought in to draft a set of laws, i.e. Packer couldn't have just used the MCC Laws as he'd be in breach of copyright.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's right in the wiki article you were looking at...

In 1788, MCC took responsibility for ownership and maintenance of the Laws of Cricket, issuing a revised version that year. Although changes to the Laws are now determined by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the copyright is still owned by MCC.[4] The club was formerly the governing body of cricket in England and Wales and, as the sport's legislator, it held considerable global influence. For much of the 20th century, commencing with the 1903–04 tour of Australia and ending with the 1976–77 tour of India, MCC organised international tours in which the England cricket team played Test matches. On these tours, the England team was called MCC in non-international matches. In 1993, its administrative and governance functions were transferred to the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Test and County Cricket Board (TCCB).