• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When did you stop caring about 40 ball 100s in T20 leagues?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just really difficult to care about T20 leagues when all the teams are manufactured franchises. If the teams were more ingrained (and the competitions less dilluted, I felt a lot more pissed off at last year's BBL than previous ones) it might gain more context.

I don't have much of an opinion about WT20 either in fairness but I think that might be down to the timezones and timing of said events being ******.

cnerd123

likes this
The only thing I like about the IPL is that it's a step towards professionalised franchise sports, and it brings a focus towards building the best team you can with a wider range of talent. International cricket as always been about making the best our of whatever talent pool you have, but in the IPL, everyone has the same talent pool, so it's just about strategy and budget.

Unfortunately the IPL has been underwhelming regarding this so far, but it's getting better. Fron what I saw the latest IPL was the best in terms of team building and strategies. Hopefully one day we get true moneyball style Cricket, and that would be very exciting

Flem274*

123/5
The only thing I like about the IPL is that it's a step towards professionalised franchise sports, and it brings a focus towards building the best team you can with a wider range of talent. International cricket as always been about making the best our of whatever talent pool you have, but in the IPL, everyone has the same talent pool, so it's just about strategy and budget.

Unfortunately the IPL has been underwhelming regarding this so far, but it's getting better. Fron what I saw the latest IPL was the best in terms of team building and strategies. Hopefully one day we get true moneyball style Cricket, and that would be very exciting
this entire post is awful

franchises are only good if they draw upon the same areas for years and have similar teams year in year out. the musical chairs of the ipl as everyone collects their pay check turns me off. i have zero interest in any of those plastic fake teams.

the best product in cricket will always be international cricket. only indians will ever care about an indian franchise league.

trundler

Wonder if anyone would care about Champions League if it was rebooted. That has more context.

morgieb

Wonder if anyone would care about Champions League if it was rebooted. That has more context.
Trouble with the Champions League was that too many players play for more than one club, and it's worse given that the IPL had first rights of refusal despite their clubs having more depth.

Flem274*

123/5
i rage quit the champions league when central districts made it in but had ross taylor plucked from the squad by his ipl side

the only reason it existed was to promote the glory of the ipl in the most unfair ways possible short of match fixing.

cnerd123

likes this
The last couple of seasons of the IPL have seen franchises retain core groups of players, so it's taking steps in that direction. I think what they really need to do is scrap the retention/draft system all together tho. Just do what other franchise sports do. Don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Would also be good to increase overseas player quotas.

Disagree about the catchment area bit. That's what domestic cricket is for. Idm if a Mumbai Indians team actually has no one from Mumbai in it. As long as they're trying to build the most successful team they can with the budget they have.

cnerd123

likes this
Trouble with the Champions League was that too many players play for more than one club, and it's worse given that the IPL had first rights of refusal despite their clubs having more depth.
It was fully rigged by the BCCI to have IPL teams win. IPL teams got more spots, got first pick on common players, and they event let Mumbai Indians play 5 overseas players once didn't they?

Good concept, terribly executed

vcs

The IPL is good for cricket overall because it helps players make the money they deserve, especially the ones who'd have been slogging it out year in year out in Ranji Trophy with zero recognition or monetary benefit. There's also some truth to the notion that it gives them practice in executing some of their skills (death bowling etc.) in a high-pressure environment. It's also good to have players from different countries interacting and passing on their knowledge as well (think Bumrah learning from Malinga, Rashid Khan doing well all over the world and becoming a star).

That said, for me personally, it's generally something to be endured rather than looked forward to in the calendar.

morgieb

The IPL is good for cricket overall because it helps players make the money they deserve, especially the ones who'd have been slogging it out year in year out in Ranji Trophy with zero recognition or monetary benefit. There's also some truth to the notion that it gives them practice in executing some of their skills (death bowling etc.) in a high-pressure environment. It's also good to have players from different countries interacting and passing on their knowledge as well (think Bumrah learning from Malinga, Rashid Khan doing well all over the world and becoming a star).

That said, for me personally, it's generally something to be endured rather than looked forward to in the calendar.
Fortunately the IPL is timed as such that it's generally in a big window for other sports, so I can kind of ignore cricket for that period as the IPL just doesn't interest me. Agree that it does have advantages.