• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's the worst ODI you've attended?

Molehill

International Captain
For me, I'm going to nominate Australia v Pakistan 2001. Bought tickets for the Final of the Nat West Series, so firstly not great that it didn't include England. Pakistan then rolled over and Australia won easily. To make matters worse, it would be the last time the crowd would be allowed to walk onto the hallowed turf at the end of the game after a beer can was thrown into the Aussie balcony during the post match proceedings (was it Mark Waugh who was hit?).

Ali TT

International Debutant
I'm pretty sure I've only been to one and it was the final game of the England v South Africa series in 2012. They rolled us over for 180 and chased it down with time to spare despite an early wobble. From an England perspective, the whole tour had been pretty miserable so this match was fitting. It had also all been overshadowed by the Olympics/Paralympics as well. Having been to a few events in those, the whole atmosphere at the cricket was pretty flat.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I haven't attended that many. The first ODI I attended was England v India in 1983, which was a cacophony of pie-chucking. Don't recall attending any until my year down under in 1998/99 where I think I attended 3 in Melbourne. I then attended one at Lord's in 1999, Australia v Zimbabwe (a good game) and then finally the 2005 game I mentioned in the other thread.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm pretty sure I've only been to one and it was the final game of the England v South Africa series in 2012. They rolled us over for 180 and chased it down with time to spare despite an early wobble. From an England perspective, the whole tour had been pretty miserable so this match was fitting. It had also all been overshadowed by the Olympics/Paralympics as well. Having been to a few events in those, the whole atmosphere at the cricket was pretty flat.
A similar one but in reverse I went to was this.

We were in a Baker Street pub by about 3pm.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A similar one but in reverse I went to was this.

We were in a Baker Street pub by about 3pm.
If nothing else it gave an interesting scorecard. Jimmeh going for five an over and conceding nearly half SA's runs just looks ridiculous given how hard it seems to have been for them to make runs otherwise.

And Kallis probably isn't looking back on this as among his very best days - a 12-ball duck followed by three wicketless overs conceding 33!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If nothing else it gave an interesting scorecard. Jimmeh going for five an over and conceding nearly half SA's runs just looks ridiculous given how hard it seems to have been for them to make runs otherwise.

And Kallis probably isn't looking back on this as among his very best days - a 12-ball duck followed by three wicketless overs conceding 33!
Jimmy was pretty loose back then, sprayed it around, definitely could have been held back a few more years

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Most respondents have (understandably) mentioned games where the side batting first was knocked over for a small score. As a measure of how the formats are viewed differently, would people have felt the same if they had been at the first day of the Trent Bridge test in 2015, when Australia were bowled out for 60, or similar occurrences in test matches?

Ali TT

International Debutant
Most respondents have (understandably) mentioned games where the side batting first was knocked over for a small score. As a measure of how the formats are viewed differently, would people have felt the same if they had been at the first day of the Trent Bridge test in 2015, when Australia were bowled out for 60, or similar occurrences in test matches?
Well I think it is about the importance of the games. An Ashes match will have more meaning than a random ODI game but for comparison, I took great pleasure out of England's recent semi-final victories in WC19 and T20WC22 despite them being hugely one-sided affairs.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Thanks for interesting response. I would have said that a test match is a primal trial of strength so the equivalent of a first round knockout is a dramatic and purposeful occurrence. One day games by contrast are intended to be exciting, so one feels a let down when they are not.