• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would be the all-time rankings for all teams?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Two. They played two WC Finals. Probably that they are most often among the top half of teams, but rarely the very best. I can think of only the 92 Kisi team as favorites in any WC.
Yeah I forgot 15 somehow, still I think the main point is that if you offered SL's WC record to NZ they will probably take it.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I forgot 15 somehow, still I think the main point is that if you offered SL's WC record to NZ they will probably take it.
A victory, of course! But then again, if you offer WIs WC record to SA, they will most definitely take it.

capt_Luffy

?? I don't see the relevance of this.

My point was that a single victory is better than reaching the semis however many times NZ did.
I didn't denied exactly. But if the criteria how consistently they have been good, then the latter is a better measure of that. Anyways, just ask FP or Flem and they will tell you about New Zealand winning a Cup of not......

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't denied exactly. But if the criteria how consistently they have been good, then the latter is a better measure of that. Anyways, just ask FP or Flem and they will tell you about New Zealand winning a Cup of not......
deny*

Coronis

International Coach
I think the Australian team for the first decade that lost around 12 games and won 2 we're almost minnow level. They had two of the World's best bowlers and the best wicketkeeper, but thier batting seems to be weaker than the average County side back then.
No clue what test cricket you’re talking about mate. You look up to the end of the 84/85 Ashes, it had been extremely even between the two teams. 9 wins Aus 8 wins Eng 4 draws

England did have a run of dominance after that but at no stage was Australia a minnow lol.

Coronis

International Coach
how are you a minnow when there are like……. only 2 teams playing??
I could understand it if one team couldn’t win a test for years and years against the other and were getting dominated all the time, but that was far from the case.

subshakerz

International Coach
It feels like that, but England's ODI record is actually surprisingly decent most of the time. Pak vs WI is a matter of taste I guess, WI got an extra cup so one could end up arguing either way really.
England were pretty woeful from the 80s to early 2000s in ODIs.

subshakerz

International Coach
SL at #7 is laughable. We won WC once and was on couple of finals and couple of semi finals. Easily better than England, Pakistan and New Zealand.
Yeah I agree better than NZ.

However these rankings aren't just about WC. What is the standard of ODI cricket you are playing between them? Are you winning other tournaments? I think Pakistan is definitely better there than all those mentioned. They won an Australasia Cup, a Carlton United Series and a Champion Trophy. They were a top tier ODI team for the mid 80s to early 2000s.

capt_Luffy

No clue what test cricket you’re talking about mate. You look up to the end of the 84/85 Ashes, it had been extremely even between the two teams. 9 wins Aus 8 wins Eng 4 draws

England did have a run of dominance after that but at no stage was Australia a minnow lol.
Sorry, mixed up the timeline a bit.

subshakerz

International Coach
at most I'd say it's below average, Pakistan has a far worse record in the last 20 years or so.
Do they? From memory, they won at least two ODI series vs India in India, an Asia Cup, a Champion Trophy. Last 20 years were better than England in the 80s and 90s IMO.

Edit: I just recalled England did win a Champion Trophy style tournament in 98. So maybe it is close actually.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Do they? From memory, they won at least two ODI series vs India in India, an Asia Cup, a Champion Trophy. Last 20 years were better than England in the 80s and 90s IMO.
Champion's trophy is the only achivement in this list, Asia cup (Sri lanks won 4 in this time frame) and ODI series vs India in India is meh, (it's not like tests where beating India is some herculean task). Overall record is 132 wins to 171 losses, I don't think the champion's trophy makes up for such a large gap.

Edit - Besides, England can't possibly win the Asia cup. And if there was a similar Europe competition I am fairly sure they would have lost to ireland only half the time.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Champion's trophy is the only achivement in this list, Asia cup (Sri lanks won 4 in this time frame) and ODI series vs India in India is meh, (it's not like tests where beating India is some herculean task). Overall record is 132 wins to 171 losses, I don't think the champion's trophy makes up for such a large gap.
Yeah true that is a fair gap.

I think England in the 80s and 90s did slip a lot of home wins that nobody noticed since they were low profile.