• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was this player fundamentally ignored because of pace?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That 2003 series v SA in England was hellishly fun. Young Graeme Smith captaining SA, Nasser forgot his name at the toss in the first Test then Smith peeled off double tons in both the first two Tests

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm not English, nor ever saw any 1990s county cricket. But, I'm surprised the original premise of the OP hasn't been shot down (more strongly)by someone who is. The premise that Bicknell lacked pace.

I recall Bicknell from the 1990/91 summer on his first tour and he didn't lack oace.

England selected about 15 seamers slower or the same as him during the rest of the 90s.

My understanding is he was such a county atalwart that he had a long career, and by the time ha had 'can't ignore me' seasons he was old (and by then lacked pace) , and by then that was in the Fletcher Era as someone already mentioned who was more focused on pace . And by then the team was in good shape.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Ali TT

International Debutant
I'm not English, nor ever saw any 1990s county cricket. But, I'm surprised the original premise of the OP hasn't been shot down (more strongly)by someone who is. The premise that Bicknell lacked pace.

I recall Bicknell from the 1990/91 summer on his first tour and he didn't lack oace.

England selected about 15 seamers slower or the same as him during the rest of the 90s.

My understanding is he was such a county atalwart that he had a long career, and by the time ha had 'can't ignore me' seasons he was old (and by then lacked pace) , and by then that was in the Fletcher Era as someone already mentioned who was more focused on pace . And by then the team was in good shape.
But also got reselected by Fletcher.

That was an odd series though, lots of trying out new pieces. Bicknell, Richard Kirtley and Kabir Ali topped the averages for England but it was a series that also featured Anderson, Harmison and Flintoff together even though their averages were nothing to write home about

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I rather enjoyed the excuse to find and post the clip. Just a shame that Rob M couldn’t find the C4 archive coverage with a few balls preceding.