• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig vs Ben Stokes

Better All-rounder

• Tong Greig

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Ben Stokes

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Regular
Stokes is an all-conditions bowler but his WPM output is pretty much 5th bowler territory. I would still say he is a better bowler than Grieg though. Looking at Grieg's pace, I think Stokes would be a better bet for a batting era.
As for batting, it's close. Grieg did very well in the 1974/75 Ashes bloodbath and was good against spin, averaging 64 and 43 on India tours against the spin quartet, playing on some proper turners which Stokes possibly wouldn’t be able to emulate. His lowest opponent average is 36. But Stokes' peak coincided with a bowling era and he was productive, averaging 42 between 2016-2020, a similar age range and length of time to Grieg's Test career. He has a good record against South Africa and was phenomenal in the 2019 Ashes.

Think Stokes takes it for his better body of work. I would rate their batting at a similar level with Stokes' bowling slightly ahead. Would have to say Grieg is the more underrated of the two though. He goes under the radar a lot compared to Stokes and Flintoff.