• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Can't be that weak to get a reaction 🤷🏽‍♂️.
Wait, isn't that what you consider trolling then?

No patriotic sensibilities, that's you, and you would be well served to remember your response above, when I mention the name of certain all rounders.
I think it's been established that I am equal opportunity in who I choose to defend or attack. Kallis, Ambrose, Ashwin, etc.

As I said, he's correctly rates in my opinion. 6th or 7th best batsman ever. There's an argument to be made he also belongs in the best after Bradman conversation. Again, the best batsman I've ever seen in time watching the game. He was pure genius when he was on.
I rate him 7th on my list as well. Heck, we have the same list I think. However, why is Lara the best if you rate Tendulkar ahead of him?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Reasons why Lara is a better test batsman than Smith -

- Lara is the best test batsman in the last 35 years.
Always rated Viv above both Sachin and Lara.. Dunno, just personal bias towards his style of batting more than any so-called "solid" statistical reasons...

Out before the spreadsheeters are in.. :ph34r:
Just for some fun, quoting one of your old posts from this thread.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
I blame @Coronis for my change of mind on Viv, the test batter.
Allow me to change your mind on that. The best short term peak ever(or top three atleast), great record across conditions(ATG in England, Aus, great at home and good in the SC), dominated the great bowlers of his time, his attacking play and the psychological aspect of it, perfect record across all 4 innings, and a good home/away split. And the post 1976 theory is wrong, because despite for a certain portion of his peak he was playing the WSC in 1977/79, and with that he would firstly average more than 45 since then. But further Viv was in the second phase of his career, the best bat or one of the top three bats in the world, average 50@ SR of 70+ in tough conditions. His decline in the last three years drags the post 76 average down, but doesn’t mean he was uniformly a 45 average bat post his first peak. And Viv didn’t have any minnows to bash, otherwise his late phase average would probably increase.

Last edited:

BazBall21

Reason why I still rate Smith ahead of Lara:

- No particular weakness against any type of bowling, unlike Lara

- More consistent than Lara

- Much better away record, whereas Lara's away record is slightly sub-par IMO for a top tier ATG
Smith had a better peak, better player of pace, and presently has a better record.

I hesitate because it feels like a somewhat disproportionate proportion of his great work came in that golden 2014-2019 period. Been still good if a tad underwhelming since by top 10 batter of all time standards.

subshakerz

International Coach
Smith had a better peak, better player of pace, and presently has a better record.

I hesitate because it feels like a somewhat disproportionate proportion of his great work came in that golden 2014-2019 period. Been still good if a tad underwhelming since by top 10 batter of all time standards.
My counter to that is that Smith averages mid-40s since he peak, which is pretty standard for ATG bats once they decline and fairly good for a better bowling era. And its not like others ATGS like Viv and Imran don't have their ultra best work concentrated in a brief period too.

Lara FYI was even worse in his mid-career phase, averaging less 40 between 96 before his revival in 2001.

subshakerz

International Coach
Allow me to change your mind on that. The best short term peak ever(or top three atleast), great record across conditions(ATG in England, Aus, great at home and good in the SC), dominated the great bowlers of his time, his attacking play and the psychological aspect of it, perfect record across all 4 innings, and a good home/away split. And the post 1976 theory is wrong, because despite for a certain portion of his peak he was playing the WSC in 1977/79, and with that he would firstly average more than 45 since then. But further Viv was in the second phase of his career, the best bat or one of the top three bats in the world, average 50@ SR of 70+ in tough conditions. His decline in the last three years drags the post 76 average down, but doesn’t mean he was uniformly a 45 average bat post his first peak. And Viv didn’t have any minnows to bash, otherwise his late phase average would probably increase.
This is literally the only reason why Viv's rating has been downsliding on this forum.

BazBall21

My counter to that is that Smith averages mid-40s since he peak, which is pretty standard for ATG bats once they decline and fairly good for a better bowling era. And its not like others ATGS like Viv and Imran don't have their ultra best work concentrated in a brief period too.

Lara FYI was even worse in his mid-career phase, averaging less 40 between 96 before his revival in 2001.
I still rate Viv over Smith. Lara v Smith I can go either way on.

BazBall21

I can rock with this.

The top 7 (or 8 if you include Hutton) were just a different level of elite, and stand out from the crowd.
Hutton's resume is pretty flawless. The only detractions against him are bowlers weren't as fast back then and he was pretty slow after the War.

kyear2

International Coach
Hutton's resume is pretty flawless. The only detractions against him are bowlers weren't as fast back then and he was pretty slow after the War.
Think it's more the slow scoring after the war that detracts. But yeah, agree Hutton is definely in that tier. Just 8th for me, and again, because of the rate of scoring

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
The comment about Viv not really having any minnows to bash is a pretty accurate assessment. Ditto Lara tbh because he only faced Zim/Bang what 4 tests total.
I’m finding that I’ve underrated Lara a bit, and he is for me a contender for best after Bradman. Probably peak Lara would be my first choice to handle any ATG attack, given he could do more crazy things than any other bat bar Bradman. And except his India record, being somewhat hot and cold in the middle phase(which he fixed), and not being the best player of the 150+ guys, doesn’t have a noticeable flaw. For aesthetic reason, Lara’s 1999 series against Aus is the topmost glory of batsmanship.

Slifer

International Captain
I’m finding that I’ve underrated Lara a bit, and he is for me a contender for best after Bradman. Probably peak Lara would be my first choice to handle any ATG attack, given he could do more crazy things than any other bat bar Bradman. And except his India record, being somewhat hot and cold in the middle phase(which he fixed), and not being the best player of the 150+ guys, doesn’t have a noticeable flaw. For aesthetic reason, Lara’s 1999 series against Aus is the topmost glory of batsmanship.
And that's his biggest issue, express bowling. He'd probably only face that in an atg scenario vs RSA, and Pakistan. Was Lillee 150+?? I'd expect him to struggle on spicy wkts but at home and on anything neutral he might just get going....Tbf to him, most batsmen aren't making runs vs express pace on spicy wkts.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
And that's his biggest issue, express bowling. He'd probably only face that in an atg scenario vs RSA, and Pakistan. Was Lillee 150+?? I'd expect him to struggle on spicy wkts but at home and on anything neutral he might just get going....Tbf to him, most batsmen aren't making runs vs express pace on spicy wkts.
Peak Lillee probably was 150 kmph. Looks absolute fast before surgery.