• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka 30-man squad named

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I expect West Indies to qualify ahead of Sri Lanka .

This would suit SL better.

As qualifying as Qualifier 2 - would help avoid the group with hosts India and Australia and be in the Group v SA, Pakistan, NZ where SL has some what of a better chance, IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Atapattu gets picked and makes it to the Team in the preliminary round at least against Bangla, Zim and the Windies. Because it would be important to see whether he can get back into some form and get some runs on the board after his long lay off .

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
JASON said:
I hope Atapattu gets picked and makes it to the Team in the preliminary round at least against Bangla, Zim and the Windies. Because it would be important to see whether he can get back into some form and get some runs on the board after his long lay off .
The 14-man squad was picked some time back.

Sri Lanka squad

No Vandort ;) A little heavy on bowlers, you'd have to think that Tharanga and Atapattu are battling it out for the third opener's spot and there's really no challenger for the middle order of Sanga, Jayawardene, Dilshan, Kapugedera, Maharoof (he's pretty much a given at seven...unless they want Vaas? ;) )

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Strengths:
  • Tried-and-tested top four batsmen are back.
  • Murali– the name still strikes fear in batting lineups elsewhere- even in Indian.
  • Maharoof and Bandara provide decent value addition with their batting and their support to the main bowlers.
  • Fielding is still effective.
  • Sanath, Bandara and Maharoof can provide some power play in the batting.
  • Sangakkara, as a batsman, can make a difference.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack of real power in the batting in normal conditions.
  • Susceptible to the odd run-out, especially-
  • Marvan, who's been very scratchy in ODI's until injury and has just come out of one.
  • Vaas– the name doesn't strike any fear now– only medium-pace; will struggle in unhelpful conditions and can't take wickets in bulk without support.
  • Dilhara, their most effective pacer, has old-ball issues, yet he often gets the old ball.
  • Lack of genuine all-rounder options.
Opportunities:
  • They have a match in Motera, with its slow wicket, and in Brabourne, whose pitch may act up, since it's returned after a long time to international action.
  • They face one minnow team and a prolific West Indian side often prone to batting collapses.
  • West Indian bowling units are often a man or two down, and may even have just one full-fledged bowler.
  • Floodlit matches may help them if they bast first.
  • Form is on their side.
Threats:
  • The West Indian batting lineup can be highly destructive and may take apart the bits-and-pieces and value-added bowlers. On their day, they don't even spare strikers.
  • Later on, they may have trouble against strike spinners.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
^^^And who says Indian aquired MBA's are useless :smartass:

The fact that Sri Lanka has to qualify is abit of a joke in my eyes, oh well...

I personally see Sri Lankan stepping up to the plate and continuing on the impressive form seen In England. In Jayawardene I believe Sri Lanka have found an intelligent, aggressive and tactically aware leader. Not to say we haven’t had one in the past, however I do feel he is a better option that Atappatu.

For me this would be the preferred lineup:

S Jayasuria
U Tharanga
K Sangakkara
D Jayawardene
T Dilshan
C Kapugedera
M Mahroof
C Vaas
C Bandara
S Malinga
M Muralitharan

Solid top six, 3 Quick/Medium pacers, 2 spinner, with the option of Jayasuria spearing in those flat offies.

If it’s a dry, slow turning dust bowl, drop Mahroof and bring in Atapattu :P

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I would not be surprised if Atapattu gets a run infront of one of the five bowlers, probably Maharoof.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I would not be surprised if Atapattu gets a run infront of one of the five bowlers, probably Maharoof.
I agree , for Indian conditions an extra batsman is more useful than an extra bowler .