• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should more 40 year old professional cricketers continue on

Aritro

International Regular
It's just hard for any batsman to play at test level at that age because of diminishing reflexes. I would have thought it was impossible for fast bowlers as well because of wear and tear but Jimmy's obviously confounded that idea. If there's another one, they'd probably have to be another single format player.

Spinners presumably the most likely to keep playing that long.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just hard for any batsman to play at test level at that age because of diminishing reflexes. I would have thought it was impossible for fast bowlers as well because of wear and tear but Jimmy's obviously confounded that idea. If there's another one, they'd probably have to be another single format player.

Spinners presumably the most likely to keep playing that long.
10 oldest test players were spinners, all round spinners (including the Doc), 1 keeper and the GOAT opener.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
10 oldest test players were spinners, all round spinners (including the Doc), 1 keeper and the GOAT opener.
I think you've overlooked George Gunn (4th oldest Test player); Grace and Woolley were really purely playing as batters by that stage of their careers as well.

Considering pace bowlers, Anderson is already 5th in the list of leading wicket-takers after turning 40, behind Sydney Barnes, Geoff Chubb, Lala Amarnath and Nigel Haig (or 6th if you accept the claim that D'Oliveira was born in 1928).