• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pujara an enigma?

Slifer

International Captain
I honestly wish WI right now had a Pujara ie a batsman who can soak up the pressure and still average over 45.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Oh, the problem isn't that he scores 45 (200) all the time, it's that it's become basically his ceiling. If he did it all the time, it would still be a regression from when he could occupy the crease and make big scores by doing so, but as you say, you'd take the consistent contributions. But he's failing a lot between his moderate grinding scores. Basically his consistency and his ceiling have fallen dramatically.

Of course, he's still better than our top 3
Agree, that is an issue, he should definitely be scoring big after getting such starts, or maybe up the scoring rate a little after playing a good 100-150 balls. And yes, consistency has been an issue in recent games but he should be given some space looking at how impactful even his moderate scores have been on the entire game.

Also, he clearly needs a different approach on pitches that offer plenty of help to the bowlers, coz no matter how well set he is, he can get out at any point. Every small contribution in terms of runs becomes important in low scoring games, just occupying the crease won't be enough.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If I was India, I'd be saying thanks for the memories and dropping him tomorrow.

The only way I see him contributing to India is on a sporting deck where he can wrestle momentum away from another team and quell them while they take advantage of sideways movement. To be fair, he had success against Australia last year because he was able to hold them at arm's lengths while others fell around him. But that only worked because Australia couldn't bat.

If I was a Test bowler, I'd love Pujara being in the other side. He'd make me feel comfortable at the crease. He's not an impenetrable force anymore so you feel you can get him out, and you know you can settle into a length and revel in the fact he's not going to hurt you - even when you occasionally really miss. He potentially takes momentum out of his own side as well.

There has to be guys with ability in behind him.