• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace Quartet or Spinner

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand.

However Harper is nowhere as good as Lyon or Swann who are matchwinners at least once most series when conditions suit.

If you have Hadlee, Marshall, Steyn, McGrath facing your average teams, honestly don't see much a fourth seamer will do that the three other seamers can't accomplish among themselves pacewise.

Whereas I definitely see Swann and Lyon being useful outside of three ATG pacers in limited but common scenarios if the pitch is dead and you need stock overs or in the SC, enough to justify their inclusion.
I don't disagree.

subshakerz

International Coach
You are specific about one half of the equation, but not the other. Who are the 4 worldclass pace bowlers?

Also, do you have meaningful part-timers (even a batting allrounder), of either pace or spin variety)?

Finally, what sort of rules/enforcement is in place, in relation to over rate?
Worldclass as in minimum Colin Croft quality.

Part timers yes, ARs no.

Over rate applies.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I am doing the same here, but for a bowling attack only and versus normal teams.
And what he's saying, and I agree is that there isn't always a scenario where spin is required and it's almost the exception not the rule.

It's can almost be seen in a utilitarian manner where you're looking to rest or rotate bowlers or assist with the over rate in some conditions.

subshakerz

International Coach
lol. Colin Croft is your definition of world class? So almost every pacer playing international cricket currently is not world class? What a crock
Anyone who maintains top class performance for only a short period is what I call 'worldclass'. So Croft, Shoaib, etc.

Those who maintain top class performance for longer period becomes greats/AVTGs. A handful of them become ATGs.

Today, I would consider Bumrah, Jamieson worldclass. I consider Cummins and Rabada already greats/AVTGs.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Croft is way better than Swann or Lyon (not going to get into whether he had a better "career").
Yes he is. The question is does he add more value to a bowling attack that already has three pacers of the same quality though versus a quality spinner who offers something different.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Possibly these days, if the team has any ambitions of winning WTC, then you might just keep an inferior spinner for that reason.

If you have a Joe Root / Viv Richards level part time spinner who is willing to put in meaningful quick overs, maybe you could just about get away with a 4 man pace attack though from the over rate perspective. Dunno, it's a weird scenario.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly these days, if the team has any ambitions of winning WTC, then you might just keep an inferior spinner for that reason.

If you have a Joe Root / Viv Richards level part time spinner who is willing to put in meaningful quick overs, maybe you could just about get away with a 4 man pace attack though from the over rate perspective. Dunno, it's a weird scenario.
With Ravindra and Phillips being almost genuine allrounders, 4 seamers is fine for NZ.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't because it's supposed to cover any and all scenarios. So we select the team that would be most effective anywhere and vs anyone.
If this is the scenario we're going with I would definitely go with the 4 quicks. Unless your home games are on excessively turning wickets on balance the 4 quicks will win you more games.

Probably wouldn't make the WTC finals because of over-rate penalties though 🤔