• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed. Especially if the tail fires, India are still well in this.

I think SL (especially with its fragile batting) would find a target of 150+ on the 4th day quite a challenge to chase. It aint over yet.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
"A pessimist only sees the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them"

Leonard L. Levinson
i was not moping, was smiling you know..like this...:), although i wouldn't want to try walking on anything as unsubstantive as a cloud...

masterblaster

International Captain
An out of sorts Rahul Dravid with a limping VVS Laxman doesn't inspire me with much confidence. Not to mention that both Parthiv Patel and Ishant Sharma are both hurt at the moment.

adharcric

International Coach
An out of sorts Rahul Dravid with a limping VVS Laxman doesn't inspire me with much confidence. Not to mention that both Parthiv Patel and Ishant Sharma are both hurt at the moment.
Just as easily, Dravid looked fluent at the crease and Laxman is one man in this lineup who has scored in such pressure situations before. Sure, the match may be over before lunch but India still has some hope IMO.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, you're probably right too ... but if you're a genuine fan, you'd still have hope that India can turn it around - maybe you do, or maybe it's just me.
a genuine fan wants his team to win, hopes they win but wouldn't have unrealistic expectations or blind faith in the team... at least that's the way i see it...stranger things have happened in sports but i am just not comfortable betting on lightning striking twice in the same place, that's all...

Precambrian

Banned
a genuine fan wants his team to win, hopes they win but wouldn't have unrealistic expectations or blind faith in the team... at least that's the way i see it...stranger things have happened in sports but i am just not comfortable betting on lightning striking twice in the same place, that's all...
I thought that happened already... Kolkota 2001 and then Adelaide 2003, maybe Colombo 2008 could be a third! Who knows!

Ajantha the next legend? Give the poor chap a break! Just his first series! He has hardly done anything of a one man show so far. While no one can discount his efforts, one cannot show a blind eye to the following facts:

1. Muralitharan's constant application of pressure of other end.
  2. Helpful pitches of Sri Lanka
  3. Woefully out of form Indian middle order

So I would wait till Mendis has his REAL initiation into international test cricket, ie, a tour to Australia, or NZ, or well, even India.

adharcric

International Coach
Definitely, I wouldn't bet on it happening either ... just saying that I'm still hopeful and given the past, I don't think it's quite "blind hope" - almost but not quite. :p

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i was not moping, was smiling you know..like this...:), although i wouldn't want to try walking on anything as unsubstantive as a cloud...
Haha, I just saw the opportunity to post an excellent quote I read a few days ago. I didn't have a point to back it up or anything like that :p

Perm

1. Woefully out of form Indian middle order
Not aided by the fact that India were without their first-choice keeper, who employs a style of play that would have been useful in countering Mendis.

Besides, the Indian middle-order wasn't in the worst form coming into this series. In their previous two series (away vs Australia, home vs South Africa) they did alright. Laxman averaged 41, Dravid averaged 37, Ganguly averaged 37 and Tendulkar averaged 61 (only played one Test against South Africa). Not great numbers for Ganguly and Dravid, but hardly "woefully out of form", and Mendis should be given credit for doing so well.

Precambrian

Banned
Noone is taking credit away from Mendis. He's done exceptionally well for a debutant. But he has not done a one-man demolition job like the way Harbhajan Singh did in 2001 or Shane Warne did in Ashes 2005 (though unsuccessfully).

Dravid, Ganguly averages miserably in current year. Dravid's has been miserable since 2007. Form-loss can happen suddenly. Just because you had a very good series (Aus 2007-08) (Sachin's case) doesnt mean, you can continue that form every succeeding tour.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is not just about numbers and stuff, though.

Dravid has simply not looked like a player who can take his team through for a good 2 years (almost) now.. Ganguly doesn't look like he has a clue on a number of occassions. They are still good enough to produce the odd good knock and sometimes, even an odd great knock, but the consistency is simply not there.

I am not saying a Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina or Badrianth (if he ever gets picked) are going to be any better but at least one of them deserves a chance???? Just let these guys go, esp. Dravid who has looked so tense at the crease for so long now.. Give Badrinath or somebody else a chance for one whole series, let Rahul play Ranji and get his confidence back and most importantly, let him relax for a while... Let us see if Badri or Rohit or Raina are good enough at the highest level. One whole series should be enough for them to produce at least one good or 2 or 3 decent performances. Then we can take the call on who is better than whom.

By not giving anyone else a chance, we are restricting ourselves too much, IMHO.

Perm

Noone is taking credit away from Mendis. He's done exceptionally well for a debutant. But he has not done a one-man demolition job like the way Harbhajan Singh did in 2001 or Shane Warne did in Ashes 2005 (though unsuccessfully).

Dravid, Ganguly averages miserable in current year. Dravid has been miserable since 2007. Out of form can happen suddenly. Just because you had a very good series (Aus 2008) (Sachin) doesnt mean, you can continue that form every continuing tour.
:wacko:

Sorry, reading that post hurt my head.

Precambrian

Banned
It is not just about numbers and stuff, though.

Dravid has simply not looked like a player who can take his team through for a good 2 years (almost) now.. Ganguly doesn't look like he has a clue on a number of occassions. They are still good enough to produce the odd good knock and sometimes, even an odd great knock, but the consistency is simply not there.

I am not saying a Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina or Badrianth (if he ever gets picked) are going to be any better but at least one of them deserves a chance???? Just let these guys go, esp. Dravid who has looked so tense at the crease for so long now.. Give Badrinath or somebody else a chance for one whole series, let Rahul play Ranji and get his confidence back and most importantly, let him relax for a while... Let us see if Badri or Rohit or Raina are good enough at the highest level. One whole series should be enough for them to produce at least one good or 2 or 3 decent performances. Then we can take the call on who is better than whom.

By not giving anyone else a chance, we are restricting ourselves too much, IMHO.

The best chance is NOW! Coming Australia series. Bereft of M and W. I think Ganguly's time's up.