• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Bevan's best innings.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
orangepitch said:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/07/1081326802315.html

Surely ,the writer isnt serious abouyt this being the best innings ever !

there are surely better inningss thaan this one.

It reads like a competition piece someone has put together. The match was reduced to 43 overs a side, yet the author writes about the 50th over. Strange - a mistake he would surely never have made if he had been at the game.

One more moan. Why the hell is every sentence in the article a new paragraph?

Last edited:

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I would think that Bevan's best innings was the one against NZ in the 2001/02 season. I rate that one higher than the West Indies match and the England match in the World Cup.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It WAS one of his best - partly because of the sheer excitement when he hit that last ball straight over Harper's head for four to win the game. It was also pretty much (to my memory) the first time Bevan pulled Australia so dramatically from the jaws of defeat. As he was to do this a number of times subsequently, to a degree it became almost expected of him, which is one of the reasons his career has ended so abruptly. The '96 innings was such a surprise, and we didn't know yet to say "seeing as Bevan's there, we're still a chance to win", as we did in later years, so the game looked more unwinnable.

I remember that his innings against NZ in 2002 kept us in contention for a spot in the finals (which we didn't make because Fleming kept us out deliberately in a game against South Africa in which a bonus point could have made all the difference), but curiously I don't remember the game as well as the '96 game. Which proves the common adage that your best-executed innings is not always your most memorable. The World Cup knocks with Bichel were great, too.

Bouncer

State Regular
Its not an internationl innings, but he scored 185 0dd runs at Dhaka against the Best of Asia eleven a few yars ago....ROW, looked in horrible conditions when chris Cairns and Lance Klusner fell fell to Muralitharan, but then Bevan added 100 odd runs with Andrew caddick to take ROW closer t victory and the only lost by one runs....as six were required at last ball and he could only manage a four off Razaaq.

Swervy

International Captain
Bouncer said:
Its not an internationl innings, but he scored 185 0dd runs at Dhaka against the Best of Asia eleven a few yars ago....ROW, looked in horrible conditions when chris Cairns and Lance Klusner fell fell to Muralitharan, but then Bevan added 100 odd runs with Andrew caddick to take ROW closer t victory and the only lost by one runs....as six were required at last ball and he could only manage a four off Razaaq.
yeah that was outstanding

nibbs

International Captain
the one against NZ had to be it...

Also I find it hilarious to see how Aussies still blame Flemings awesome tactics, bringing all the bonus points into play as the reason for them not making the final. hhahaha

Slow Love™

International Captain
nibblet said:
the one against NZ had to be it...

Also I find it hilarious to see how Aussies still blame Flemings awesome tactics, bringing all the bonus points into play as the reason for them not making the final. hhahaha
Hey, I'm not "blaming" - I'm giving credit where credit was due. I know a lot of Aussie supporters were angry about it, but I don't think Steve Waugh would have done any different in his position, and it's as valid a tactic as any. I never want to see teams losing deliberately in order to keep another team out of a final, but to my mind there's nothing wrong with forfeiting a bonus point with that goal in mind.

The only problem I saw with it was that, ironically, they might have had a better chance to win the tournament playing the Aussies than they did playing the South Africans, who were a bit of a bogey side. Still, I'm sure it was worth it to see the expressions on the Australian players' faces afterward... :)

nibbs

International Captain
hahaah yeh. I guess so. But there was no rule against it, so why not imply it. They only started blocking everything when it was realised that the game was up. I can still remember Parore blocking away, smiling as he did it. Classic...

nibbs

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:
but I don't think Steve Waugh would have done any different in his position, and it's as valid a tactic as any
I think that its well worth noting that at the 1999 world cup after New Zealand beat Australia, when playing the West Indies Australia deliberately took 40 odd overs to chase a score between 100-150. Was Waugh the captain then I can't remember? But the way they played, was so that in the latter part of the tournament things would work in their favour; hence what New Zealand did.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh was the captain, and I remember him saying afterwards "We wanted to make it as difficult as possible for New Zealand to get through".

Eclipse

International Debutant
New Zealand would have been smart to actualy let Australia get through.

New Zealand had been beating Australia in almost all of there matches and South Africa had been beating New Zealand in all there matches.