• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Longevity

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps this should be in the general sports forum but as we all talk about longevity here especially re Anderson recently and the likes of Tendulkar and Hobbs etc., but will any cricketer get close to Kelly Slater???

I heard he retired today. That's absolutely nuts. I assumed* he'd retired about 10 or even 15 years ago.

* I must admit that apart from watching Point Break a million years ago I know nothing about surfing.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Slater and raise you with Gabriele Tarquini. Won the 2018 World Touring Car cup at 56, still winning races by the time he finally hung up his helmet at 59 in 2021.

Even older still is Carlos Sainz Sr (not the F1 driver, his dad) winning this years Dakar Rally at 61. It will be 34 years this year since he won the first of his WRC titles, and 20 years since he finished up with the WRC entirely, but in his second career in long distance rally-raid form he has acheived a lot at an age most sportsman are long retired

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps this should be in the general sports forum but as we all talk about longevity here especially re Anderson recently and the likes of Tendulkar and Hobbs etc., but will any cricketer get close to Kelly Slater???

I heard he retired today. That's absolutely nuts. I assumed* he'd retired about 10 or even 15 years ago.

* I must admit that apart from watching Point Break a million years ago I know nothing about surfing.
Thats insane, I also thought he’d retired ages ago. Still won a WSL event in 2022.