• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Bond

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt whether this will attract many comments, but his passing should be noted. Fans of a certain age will remember him captaining the great Lancashire one day side of the early 1970s. Not least his great catch to turn the 1971 Gillette Cup final his side's way after Asif Iqbal looked like winning it for Kent. Vale Jack.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
You can see the catch here, though not very clearly. Some good shots by Asif and a great run-out by Clive Lloyd too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Two memories of Jack Bond. The catch against Kent (who are my team) and being at the other end during the famous 24 run over scored by David Hughes in the dark against Gloucestershire in the Gillette Cup semi-final.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Two memories of Jack Bond. The catch against Kent (who are my team) and being at the other end during the famous 24 run over scored by David Hughes in the dark against Gloucestershire in the Gillette Cup semi-final.
Here's the scorecard.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lancashire-final-gillette-cup--england--1971

Apart from noting that the run rate looks ridiculous by today's standards, why on earth did Bernard Julien not bowl a single delivery for your boys? Or looking at it another way, why on earth was he playing if not fit enough to bowl?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the scorecard.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-lancashire-final-gillette-cup--england--1971

Apart from noting that the run rate looks ridiculous by today's standards, why on earth did Bernard Julien not bowl a single delivery for your boys? Or looking at it another way, why on earth was he playing if not fit enough to bowl?
In those days in September at Lords if you batted first and made 220 odd it was a pretty good total even in 60 overs. Three years later Lancashire batted for the whole 60's overs and made 118. Not sure about the Bernard Julien situation. I was too young for such thoughts at the time and haven't looked into it since. By a quirk of fate I'm also missing the 1972 Wisden from my collection so can't look it up.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Checking in Clive Lloyd's "Living for Cricket", I can't see anything about the 1971 Gillette Cup final, but he does have some words about Bond:

"It is then that the captain's mettle is demonstrated, and I was lucky that I came in when Jackie Bond was at the helm. Jackie was, in a word magnificent. He had given his all to Lancashire over the years and was appointed, to widespread surprise, as captain in 1968 at the age of 36 when the county's fortunes were at a low ebb. He could hardly be described as a great player, an efficient middle-order batsman who had never quite secured his place in the Lancashire first team, nor a brilliant tactician. Yet he had the quality of leadership. His own enthusiasm and dedication proved infectious. He understood his fellow palyers and they understood him and, until he retired from the game in 1973, I do not believe it was possible to find a more popular captain anywhere."