• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help medium pace bowling

Airo123

Cricket Spectator
Hello, just to give a brief context I’ve recently started to play cricket after not playing for 6 years. I only played it at high school in PE, I’ve naturally picked up bowling and batting action by watching tv so it’s not really perfect.

I’m an all rounder but I’m struggling with the pace of my bowling. I’m a medium pace bowler with a short run up, when I bowl the pace of the bowl isn’t that fast. (I’m not expecting it to be like a fast bowler but my friend who is a batsmen playing for 10 years he does spin and can bowl it faster than me which I find embarrassing) My friend said my action was good.

Every time I use my full right hip and put full force into the delivery, it goes for a full toss 80% of the time.

Noted I might be weak or not doing something properly, anyone have advice on how to generate speed when bowling or workouts? Wanted to play local team on the weekend.

Thanks

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a coach by any stretch, but I would imagine the issue is how effectively you channeling the forces generated in your delivery motion throughout your body, into the ball at the point of release.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I have tried various things without succeeding, so I will say that it is not easy, particularly if you have a bowling action that already works well at your current pace (it may not be 'geared' for bowling faster). You might try a sightly longer runup that's a little faster at the end, but you have to be sure it is actually faster, and not just simply more, shorter steps like I have done.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Hello, just to give a brief context I’ve recently started to play cricket after not playing for 6 years. I only played it at high school in PE, I’ve naturally picked up bowling and batting action by watching tv so it’s not really perfect.

I’m an all rounder but I’m struggling with the pace of my bowling. I’m a medium pace bowler with a short run up, when I bowl the pace of the bowl isn’t that fast. (I’m not expecting it to be like a fast bowler but my friend who is a batsmen playing for 10 years he does spin and can bowl it faster than me which I find embarrassing) My friend said my action was good.

Every time I use my full right hip and put full force into the delivery, it goes for a full toss 80% of the time.

Noted I might be weak or not doing something properly, anyone have advice on how to generate speed when bowling or workouts? Wanted to play local team on the weekend.

Thanks
This makes me wonder if the ball is slipping out of the top of your grip. Would lose a lot of pace and do what you're saying if you drive through hard with your hip.

Perhaps try a slight flick forward of the ball at the point of release?

Airo123

Cricket Spectator
Thanks everyone for the reply.

I went to my first net session with the club I joined. They tried to make me do a long run up which helped abit but wasn’t all there.

Apparently on the point of release, I naturally spin the ball causing it to lose pace. I was getting slapped left right and centre.

They told me to try spin which I managed to do. The batsmen ended up blocking it, somehow I had good line and length plus spin ?

My batting against pace ball was awful playing on the back foot afraid to go forward.

Fair to say I’ll be training a few months before I get a game for the thirds which probably means next season now.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thanks everyone for the reply.

I went to my first net session with the club I joined. They tried to make me do a long run up which helped abit but wasn’t all there.

Apparently on the point of release, I naturally spin the ball causing it to lose pace. I was getting slapped left right and centre.

They told me to try spin which I managed to do. The batsmen ended up blocking it, somehow I had good line and length plus spin ��

My batting against pace ball was awful playing on the back foot afraid to go forward.

Fair to say I’ll be training a few months before I get a game for the thirds which probably means next season now.
Good to hear you've somewhat sorted out the issue.

I found the best way to deal with backing away from the ball is to put a brick on your back foot. You won't necessarily be playing perfect shots as you will be somewhat limited in your body movements, but it is a good way to stop you from backing away.

Another good way is (provided you're wearing a box and a helmet) to get hit. Seriously. It hurts, but then you'll get over it.

It'll come with time. It's about getting your mind to look past your instincts.

srbhkshk

International Captain
No idea how to explain it technically but actually transferring the momentum you generate from the run up + the arm motion into the delivery is very hard to master. One check I have found somewhat useful is to see if you hesitate at the last step of the delivery [or a simpler one - do you actually send down the delivery faster with the run up compared to just a standing bowl, if not the momentum transfer is not happening].

cnerd123

likes this
What I found helpful when playing pace bowling is focusing on connecting with the ball well ahead of me, rather than once it reaches me. Gets your feet moving and you start playing the ball earlier.

91Jmay

International Coach
Sounds like it was your wrist position then, but go to nets with that club and you will be fine.

Airo123

Cricket Spectator
Decided to go back to my attempt at fast bowling and not to give up easily. I will try and learn how to swing which might help deceive batsmen with my lack of pace.

Just crap I don’t have anyone to practise as I don’t want to embarrass myself doing this in the club.