• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Following up on a request, top 10 greatest batsmen of all time in tests (not including the Don)

Gob

International Coach
Does that exception only apply while he’s still playing – i.e. if he retired without another such series he’d still be elevated into your top ten on retirement?

I only ask because it’s illustrative of the level that Smith has been batting at that the type of series you describe above which would grant him your exception is one that the vast majority of batsmen in Test history – even the very greatest – never achieved. And Smith has already had three of them.
If he retires now, absolutely. But if he plays for few more years and his form falls of a cliff ala Ponting and ends up averaging 53, then that complicates things.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If he retires now, absolutely. But if he plays for few more years and his form falls of a cliff ala Ponting and ends up averaging 53, then that complicates things.
Yeah, to that point I find I go back and forth on exactly how high to rate Ponting because as spectacularly good as his peak was – and that period from Edgbaston 2001 to Adelaide 2006 is a contender to be considered the greatest sustained peak of any batsman in history not called Bradman – from the end of that streak until his retirement in 2012 he averaged just 39. It wasn’t simply a case of playing on a year or two too long and dropping away badly right at the end, it was fully six years and 60-plus Tests averaging sub-40.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah, to that point I find I go back and forth on exactly how high to rate Ponting because as spectacularly good as his peak was – and that period from Edgbaston 2001 to Adelaide 2006 is a contender to be considered the greatest sustained peak of any batsman in history not called Bradman – from the end of that streak until his retirement in 2012 he averaged just 39. It wasn’t simply a case of playing on a year or two too long and dropping away badly right at the end, it was fully six years and 60-plus Tests averaging sub-40.
Tbh he was still world class up until 09. First sign of him being done against quality pace was on display in 10/11 before a meme Indian summer which gave false hopes.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh he was still world class up until 09. First sign of him being done against quality pace was on display in 10/11 before a meme Indian summer which gave false hopes.
Yeah, I take your point that the decline certainly accelerated over that six-year period. He had a good (though not amazing) year in 2008, but his 150 in the first Ashes Test of 09 was his only ton in 13 Tests that year. And in 2010 his blazing match at Bellerive (209 & 89) in January was followed by two full years without a Test century and included a 30-innings run in which he averaged 27.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think this was the case at the time tbh. We were all watching him make those runs against India with a big cringe because he looked so terrible doing it, no one thought it was going to continue against better opposition. His hundred in Sydney (the game where Clarke made 300) was especially hard to watch.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah, I take your point that the decline certainly accelerated over that six-year period. He had a good (though not amazing) year in 2008, but his 150 in the first Ashes Test of 09 was his only ton in 13 Tests that year. And in 2010 his blazing match at Bellerive (209 & 89) in January was followed by two full years without a Test century and included a 30-innings run in which he averaged 27.
Its weird cos Ponting went on to have his best series in India in 2010. Made three 70s in four innings could have easily been 3 tons as he ran him self once and got LB facing Raina in another but all in all played Harbi and other spinners beautifully. My theory is that Ponting got better and better against spin as his career progressed and I'd say he was a better player of spin in 2010 than he was in 06. He was probably the best bat I've seen against genuine pace for most part but drastically lost it towards the end to a point where it was painful to watch him falling over and getting pinned

Gob

International Coach
I don't think this was the case at the time tbh. We were all watching him make those runs against India with a big cringe because he looked so terrible doing it, no one thought it was going to continue against better opposition. His hundred in Sydney (the game where Clarke made 300) was especially hard to watch.
Hmm from memory he looked pretty good for most of that Sydney knock up until he got in to 90s and had to literally grovel his way to the hundred. Looked pretty good in Adelaide too for the double and started the next season with a bang against Victoria with a ton against Pattinson and looked to be in prime shape to face SA. Fell on his face against Kallis in Adelaide on the flattest pitch of all time later though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe it was just me. Had a real hard time watching him and after the Sydney ton I knew he was done.

Flem274*

123/5
pontings eyes finally went in 2009 when he was about 36 didn't they? that's fine for a top order batsman, and if you can bat on past your mid 30s at a respectable level then it doesn't detract from your greatness at all imo because solid service beyond the expected is just a great bonus.