• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant batsmen

Kirkut

International Regular
Viv is one of my favs but he was neither a technician or elegant IMO

Guy was just brutal & brilliant
Not at all, he wasn't someone who muscled the ball but timed every shot with such authority. His twin fifties at Adelaide in 1981 is an example of that.

Kirkut

International Regular
Wonder why nobody mentions Tendulkar while talking about elegance? Who hits more poetic straight drives or cover drives? I can show n number of instances where the commentator was just orgasming at the shot Tendulkar had just hit.
A right word would be compact instead of elegant. His 177 at Trent Bridge is class overdose.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Younis just felt like brutal efficiency personified to me. Not that he could not play a pretty shot but more of ten than not, he seemed a consummate pro who wanted results over elegance.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Rohit is quite decent to watch imo, quite a bit better than Kohli (not that Kohli is particularly elegant.)

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Khawaja

Opposite for me. Very ungainly and hard to watch, especially anything leg-side. Could be somewhat "elegant" on some off-side strokes though

I agree. Even in T20 Khawaja rarely looked in a hurry, but would keep caressing the ball to boundary with minimal aggression.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Suryakumar Yadav is another one. Looks pretty fluent even though he plays a lot of unorthodox shots. There's a slight awkwardness in those reverse sweeps, scoops, etc. when the batsmen play it, Yadav plays them with a certain level of ease and assurity.

Chrish

International Debutant
Khawaja

Opposite for me. Very ungainly and hard to watch, especially anything leg-side. Could be somewhat "elegant" on some off-side strokes though
Interesting.. He barely played any stroke against pace bowlers on-side; he was kinda hopeless against short-ball. But against spinners the way he used to come down the pitch and smash them for six on leg side!!! It was divine.

Loved his off-side play against pace bowlers: those drives and square cuts.

Kirkut

International Regular
Ignore the bowling attack, this has to be among the top 3 most "good to watch" Tendulkar knocks:

Unfortunately a longer 30 minute video of the same knock got deleted which had all the fours hit by Tendulkar.