• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Criggit - New cricket simulator coming to Windows

tglover

Cricket Spectator
Hey everyone, it's been a while! For those that know I worked with Syedur Rehman on Super Cricket Simulator back in 2001 as a bit of a high school project which has been sitting on CricketWeb for a good number of years now. I'd always been wanting to remake a more serious version that sits on Windows/Mac and was made for the cricket community.

Given Dan Thomas made ITC so well and he moved on to work for Empire (who initially made International Cricket Captain) I feel that as a cricket-loving community we haven't had, outside ICC, any good simulator in the last 20 years despite having so much to look forward to ... ESPECIALLY:
- Twenty20 internationals
- New cricketing teams (pretty much every country now with status)
- Advancement of smart phones, internet, technology in general, etc.

Of course there's been International Cricket Captain to keep us company whilst they have enjoyed a health monopoly. I'd personally like to try and change that because I really hate their business model which is to charge users to buy a new game despite the only change being an upgraded player database which they just pull for free from places like CricInfo / CricketArchive.

Criggit as a project actually goes back as far as the mid 2000s but life just meant this idea got stuck. I originally was even prepared to outsource the development for this due to time constraints but this also didn't eventuate (as per a recent post). So I decided to make my own given ChatGPT etc can accelerate some development for when I would often get stuck.

The GREAT news:
After about 2-3 solid months of development (and pain along the way) I now have Criggit working for Twenty20 and One Day Internationals so far. Users can create teams that contain player information (at the moment I've got PlayerName, BatSkill, BowlSkill and BowlType) and will make more data variables as I progress along. It simulates a full match pretty well (I'd like to think!) after testing for the last couple of months I am hopefully nearer to a release.

As for the UI/UX the intention was to try for a combination of nostalgia (ITC and HODI) whilst also trying to match ESPN CricInfo for modernity. We'll see how that goes!

Whilst I am super keen for beta-testers I am actually in really favour of building a community around Criggit to eventually look to bring this game to a web-app over the next few years. That is to say that Discord will be a prerequisite to accessing the game (e.g. Login/Registration). This will be ideal for sharing of scores, requesting feature updates, etc. But for now of course we can use this thread for me to share development updates.

I'll attach just a couple screenshots at the moment which are UI/UX designs and not the simulator itself, although there is a 80-90% resemblance.

Roadmap:
- Tests, of course
- Player stats recorded
- Online functionality (likely a web-app)
- Mobile

etc etc

Attachments

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Same thoughts - good luck with project!

I used to play Cricket Coach which I found a good game but a shame the next release has been massively delayed if it does indeed get released.

A question - would there be info on ground later down the roadmap? e.g. is this a flat pitch or a pitch that turns massively?

Either way good luck it would be nice to see a new game disruptor in the cricketing gaming/simulation world

tglover

Cricket Spectator
Thanks both! Yes, we can add grounds. One of the first things I'd probably do with grounds is work with the ground size so as to adjust for the 4 vs 6 runs ratio.

Actually I'd just spent some time today adding player confidence levels, etc. Lots to be added and yes I very much plan to 'disrupt' things :)

tglover

Cricket Spectator
Hey everyone here's the Discord web invite link URL: (discord dot gg slash pxRNfyghdX)

The latest download(s) and beta-testing channels will only be available via the Criggit Discord Server. I should get the first release in there sometime today.

tglover

Cricket Spectator
For those still following the thread, we're onto a 0.6.6 Beta version now and are able to 'automate' a full game where the CPU auto-selects the bowlers and batting aggressions for a game. Now we can pretty much cycle through a full 50 over game in 30 seconds for those wanting to do things like leagues and fantasy games.