• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket History Podcasts

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
New episode

There are now 14 episodes available on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/user-55808710/sets/a-flash-outside-the-off-stump and they can also be found via iTunes by searching for A Flash Outside The Off Stump.

For people who would rather read than listen, they content is available textually at https://aflashoutsidetheoffstump.wordpress.com/
I have finally got around to writing the last few episodes of the series, Episode 16 is out now and covers Learie Constantine, episodes 17 and 18 will follow soon

https://aflashoutsidetheoffstump.wordpress.com/2018/08/08/episode-16-constantine-the-great/

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tried listening and even tweeted about it. However , don't like the constant music at the back when you talk.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
These are really great Andy. Just listened to the first two episodes and found them very informative & pleasant. You deserve way more listens, have you ever shared these podcasts on reddit?

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Powered through 2.5 eps on my way to work today. Great stuff.

Can you shed some light on your recording process? I've been interested in doing something similar and would love it if you did a "How I work" type of post :)

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
Tried listening and even tweeted about it. However , don't like the constant music at the back when you talk.
Thanks for listening and for tweeting about the podcasts, I appreciate it very much. Sorry if the music is too much, it is difficult to strike the right balance. I try to use the music to set the time and tone and I put a lot of thought into using something appropriate to the narrative but I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. On the other hand, just me droning on for ages with no other sounds would probably send most people to sleep.

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
Powered through 2.5 eps on my way to work today. Great stuff.

Can you shed some light on your recording process? I've been interested in doing something similar and would love it if you did a "How I work" type of post :)
Glad you like it. My recording process is fairly simple. I start by researching my particular topic then write it all up into a script with all the dialogue. At this stage my main concern is to divide the narrative into reasonably sized paragraphs that will not be too long to record. It's important that individual bursts of speech aren't too long because it is easier to keep speed and volume of delivery constant over shorter sections, and you're less likely to trip over your words or get lost in a big paragraph. Once I've written the whole thing I try and estimate how long it will be and whether it needs chopping up into several episodes. As a rule of thumb 1200 words is about 10 minutes at the speed I'm delivering it.

At the this stage I go back through the script and think about what music, sound effects or clips of original material I need and insert notes into the script. Then I'll source the appropriate recordings so that they're all ready when I come to edit the show together.

Next I record the dialogue. I have a very simple set up using a Zoom digital recorder. It's fairly noisy where I live so I actually sit inside a large wardrobe to try and cut out as much background noise as possible. I always record with the recorder set to use wav rather than mp3 format as this gives a lot more flexibility if you need to do a lot of editing on the sound afterwards.

Once I've got all my clips I edit them together using Audacity. Generally I put music in track 1, dialogue in track 2 and sound effects in track 3. Putting the music in track 1 lets you use a facility called auto duck to drop the level of the music while speech is happening. When I'm happy with the mix I export it as an mp3 ready to load up to Soundcloud. That's about it I think :)

AndyCarter

Cricket Spectator
These are really great Andy. Just listened to the first two episodes and found them very informative & pleasant. You deserve way more listens, have you ever shared these podcasts on reddit?
To be honest I'm not all that familiar with Reddit, at the moment I just use Twitter and Facebook. I'll have a look thanks :)