• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket’s GOAT Pyramid

After some thoughts on the topic.
Cricket’s GOAT Pyramid

Pyramid 1-Bradman

Pyramid 2-Sobers,Imran,Grace,Gilchrist

Pyramid 3-McGrath,Marshall,Hobbs,Sachin, Richards,Hammond,Hadlee,Barnes,Murali,Warne

Pyramid 4-Steyn,Hutton,Lara,Ambrose, O’Reilly,Kallis, Miller

Pyramid 5-Akram,Lillee,Trueman,Lindwall,Sutcliffe, Headley,Gavasker

Total of 30 ATGs.No Active players,otherwise Smith makes Pyramid 4 in my list.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Cricket’s GOAT Pyramid

Pyramid 1-Bradman

Pyramid 3-McGrath,Marshall,Hobbs,Sachin, Richards,Hammond,Hadlee,Barnes,Murali,Warne

Bradman has his very own pyramid, designed and maintained by whichever alien civilization dropped him onto earth.

For the normal mortals pyramid, I think you have to have Sobers at the very top. Solid BBBB candidate, who was also one of the greatest ever all-rounders, so that's got to be higher than anyone else.

After him I think it completely comes down to what you value as being more important in a great cricketer of any type, and there are no obvious pyramid tier breakdowns. Just look at how hard it was for you to slim down the level 3 of your pyramid, as it's fatter than any level below it. And I also don't think Imran, Grace or Gilchrist adequately separate themselves from level 3 either, so that's potentially 13 names that all are highest level ATG, but that there's no clear cut way to separate besides subjective tastes.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I was disappointed when level 3 had 10 players instead of nine but totally lost my **** when level 4 decreased in size. That's not how pyramids work.
Actually it means that Steyn and Ambrose are actually stronger than McGrath and Marshall, because they are holding up much more weight. ?

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Cricket’s GOAT Pyramid

Pyramid 1-Bradman

I would say Hobbs(for sheer dominance over contemporaries in the pre war era and in the toughest conditions possible) and Tendulkar and Marshall(for their perfect record across conditions, Tendulkar’s longevity and Marshall’s all round brilliance in WPM, average, SR) deserve a place above tier 3 members, while being not being equal to tier 2 members bar Gilchrist. So maybe tier 2.5: Marshall, Tendy, Hobbs