• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Concussion and cricket

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man, hope Fletcher's bowling doesn't suffer for this in the long run.

It's a fair point, the concussion substitute. Ideally should be declared at the end of the session since that should be more seamless, but wouldn't mind a real time one either given that they are announced before hand.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, cricket should really be one of the few sports you can play and not expect to suffer from CTE when your career is over

Just last year I got hit in the face once in my follow through once, and have seen a teammate literally get his skill dented by a ball belted back at him. It's really quite scary how hard we can hit the ball with modern bats. Batsmen are just so much more aggressive than usually too, since the risk/reward for going for the big hit or trying to smack the ball hard has shifted dramatically.

I've tried to use a field hockey mask when bowling, and while it's possible it really isn't comfortable. It also doesn't really stop your brain from rattling around your skill if you get hit, it just minimizes damage. A proper helmet is, ofcourse, not feasible.

I do hope we come up with some way to address this down the line. Concussion substitutes should be a must now. Hopefully limiting bat sizes can put some sort of soft cap on how powerful they are, but they'll probably just get better with better technology and innovations. We can't really mess around with the ball weight/size either.

I guess down the line we're going to see having extremely good reflexes become some sort of a pre-requisite for being a professional cricketer, simply because you need to be able to protect yourself from the bar.