• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bat out of Love, Law, Siddons, Hodge and Cox?

Best bat?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Out of the lost generation these blokes can feel the harshest treated, none even got more than 6 tests, and of those that played tests none fared particularly badly.

Circumstances hurt a lot of 90s aussie bats but unlike Elliott and Bevan these guys didn't even get the chance to fail

So who was the best of them? Who was treated stiffest?

mr_mister

Love tonning up in 4 Sheffield finals I always thought was a pretty big feather in his cap

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hodge, Law and Love were slightly better than Cox and Siddons, and if I had to select one of the three it'd probably be Hodge (in spite of Love being a personal fave), but in reality I think all of them would have averaged 45 plus had they been given long careers.

Must hurt these blokes seeing guys like Khawaja and the Marsh bros getting to play so many tests without nailing down a place, while they made huge domestic runs but couldn't break into a national middle order already containing Ponting, Waugh, Waugh, Martyn, Lehmann, Clarke, Hussey etc etc

Chubb

International Regular
Probably saw more of Hodge, Law and Cox in their county stints, but having seen some videos of Love I think he was a really classy bat.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Slightly biased as a Tasmanian supporter but I thought Jamie Cox and to a lesser extent his opening Partner Dene Hills were both very unlucky.

Cox really should have toured England in 1997, after scoring 1349 runs in the 96/97 domestic season. Mark Taylor was going through a run of 20 Test innings without a century before the 1997 Ashes.

Hodge, Law & Love were all unlucky, Law doesn't even have a Test average, but along with Cox, all made masses of county runs, infact whenever I'm in England, supporters who I speak to at county games, regale me with stories of great innings they played and can't believe they played so little for Australia.
Siddons, I really didn't see hardly play, so i can't comment on him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Law & Hodge Love Siddon’s Cox

Yes I am a child what you gonna do about it

Reactions: vcs

morgieb

Hodge gets extra points for being ignored even after the greats left.
Still had Ponting, Hussey and Clarke ahead of him for middle order spots in fairness.

Amyway, I'm saying Law if only because his FC average was the highest despite the Gabba typically (IIRC) being quite a green wicket at FC level.

vcs

Law & Hodge Love Siddon’s Cox

Yes I am a child what you gonna do about it
David Hussey should count for this thread as well, with 45 FC centuries at an average of 52.5

So yeah, then

Hussey Love Cox

mr_mister

And after further inspection it seems Di Venuto had a better FC record than both Cox and Hills. I should have thrown him in there too

TheJediBrah

Hodge by a distance

@MM, Di Venuto often batted 3 for Tassie in red-ball, Hills rarely played white-ball and when he did he sometimes batted middle-order. As did Cox actually for the latter portion of his career.

David Hussey should count for this thread as well, with 45 FC centuries at an average of 52.5

So yeah, then

Hussey Love Cox
D.Hussey played in an easier batting era in Shield cricket. I wouldn't put him on the same tier as Hodge, Love or Cox