• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's "Generous" Summer Window

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Cricinfo just ran this article:

Australia's generous summer window may be closing | ESPNcricinfo.com

I'm not sure I fully understand why this is an issue.

Top 8 test nations:

India
New Zealand
South Africa
Australia
England
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
West Indies

England, the West Indies, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are all Northern Hemisphere countries.

Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are all Southern Hemisphere countries. So why is the Australian side getting a home summer such a big deal? New Zealand is physically close enough that tests played in Australia are in prime time for NZ (not that NZ bother with tests any more). South Africa tours are always in October-November and reciprocated in Feb-March. Other than that, it feels like the five northern hemisphere sides should be lining up to get in a nice winter tour.

I know that the monsoon season basically means that cricket stops after June in India, but isn't there a six month window from January to June in which to play? The IPL taking April and May out of that is annoying, but that still leaves February/March and June for Aus tours of India without much overlap with the Australian summer.

England and the West Indies always tour in their winter, so why is there grumblings from anyone but SA and NZ about the schedule?

And logically, shouldn't we just shorten the IPL if India wishes for more people to tour during their cricket season?

stephen

Actually I just read the side blurb:

The BCCI also told CA that Indian players would need to be given at least a 15-day gap before playing the IPL
I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is. It's not like the IPL is anything more than a domestic league. Why do the international cricketers need any break at all to prepare?

Can we just all agree that the IPL is a cancer on the international schedule?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was not aware of this. Which is the cricket season?
It's traditionally been June-August but we've seen something different this year either England coming in February. I know some internationals being played in April as well

The 4-day competition started in December. Year round almost.

stephen

It's traditionally been June-August but we've seen something different this year either England coming in February. I know some internationals being played in April as well

The 4-day competition started in December. Year round almost.
That's quite convenient for scheduling, especially given the lack of money in WI cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see the issue with what India is asking for here, not least because they're not the only ones asking.

stephen

I don't see the issue with what India is asking for here, not least because they're not the only ones asking.
What I'm trying to figure out is why there's such a glut of people trying to play cricket at that time of the year when over half of the major sides are based in the northern hemisphere.

Spark

Global Moderator
What I'm trying to figure out is why there's such a glut of people trying to play cricket at that time of the year when over half of the major sides are based in the northern hemisphere.
Because it doesn't matter that it would be a northern temperate summer if it's raining all the time and it's hot all year round anyway.