• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aleem Dar versus Simon Taufel

Better umpire?

• Total voters

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who was the better umpire in their respective careers?

(The news today of Dar stepping down from the ICC Elite Umpires list prompted this thread.)

Molehill

International Captain
During the rain delay in the SA/WI game yesterday, Sky were showing some old footage of the SA/Eng Test series in 09/10. The final day of the First Test when England and Onions clung on for a draw. I noticed a young looking Aleem Dar in the days before his beard. He's been a very good and calm umpire that the players all seem to respect and get on with.

But I always used to think I'd have no issue with Taufel umpiring Ashes Tests which probably sums up how good he was. He'd have done a much better job than Bowden, that's for sure!!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Do we have stats on their respective DRS reviews? I think there was something I saw or read on Dar's stat's being some ridiculous number, and I voted him just for that, but wonder if there is any objective way to make this comparison.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Both were very good at player management. Taufel probably the best-looking ump of all time, could've refereed a full game of football too. More umps should be told to get fit or get lost. I'm sure we'll see a reduction in howlers.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Brilliant thread

Do we have stats on their respective DRS reviews? I think there was something I saw or read on Dar's stat's being some ridiculous number, and I voted him just for that, but wonder if there is any objective way to make this comparison.

I think pre-?2019 Aleem had a peak in his umpiring career that would be unparralleled, but recently he's had to reverse quite a few decisions.

Taufel IIRC has never had a dip in his form, consistently being brilliant until retirement. (although he did retire early, relatively speaking).