• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some Cricketing Discoveries

ma1978

International 12th Man
I am on gardening leave meaning I am im between jobs and am legally not permitted to work. Thus my increased posting activity. In addition to going to the Lords and Oval, thought I would share my recent reading / watching for the group.

1. Bodyline - ABC tv drama from the 1990s that I watched as a kid when it showed in India. I sourced the DVDs on ebay ans its bloody awesome.

2. From the Ashes - damn good documentary on Botham's Ashes

3. Really enjoyed Nasser Hussain's documentary on cricket in Mumbai

4. Ram Guha's books. Ram Guha is India's preeminent modern historian and a voracious cricket writer

A. Its out of print but if you can get your hands on Picador's Book of Cricket Writing I highly recommend it. He curated it and its brilliant

B. Commonwealth of Cricket - his memoirs of being a cricket fan. An Indian persoective but was a great read from a pretty erudite writer

C. I am starting On a Corner of a Foteign Field which is a history of Indian cricket So far seems meticulously researched and pretty insightful

5. Beyond a Boundary by CLR James, the great Marxist historian. I loved it as a more left leaning college student. Rereading it again, its a bit overdone. That said the sections on George Headley and Learie Constantine are fabulous

6. Martin Chandlers book on the 100 greatest centuries. I disagree with a large amount of the selections but its great for a pub argument

7. Twirlymen by Amol Rajan - a very fast enjoyable read on spin bowling

I alsp got to see the Lords and Oval tests

I chose not to watch the IPL or World T20